Rear drum won't go back on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear drum won't go back on

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

Rear drum won't go back on

Well, I went to do what I figured was going to be an easy task, replacing the parking brake cable that a PO severed. I took the rear drum off, removed the backmost shoe, installed the cable, then put everything back together the way it was originally. I've compared it against other photos and the Chilton's manual.

Everything went back together fine, but I can't get the drum back on. I've fought with it for a while now and I can't get it back in place. Any suggestions?

Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
sickcj978

Loosen the e brake cable at the adjuster and make sure the back of the break shoe is not sticking to the backing plate and the adjuster at the bottom should be all the way in too u can fix that later after the drum is on good luck also sometimes if u just snack the shoes together from either side with your hands they will spring into place
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

^^Try the above first ^^

If that doesn't help, think about this... Is your Jeep lifted? The PO may have cut the parking brake cable for a reason. Sometimes when lifting a Jeep, it's possible to create more distance between the rear brakes and the parking brake equalizer than what the stock cables can reach. This ends up causing tension on the parking brake even when the parking brake pedal is not depressed. If this happens, the brake shoe will not be able to disengage enough to get the drum(s) back on. Sometimes its necessary to get longer parking brake cables (sort of like you sometimes need longer flexible brake lines when you do a suspension lift).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
waxywilly
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Well, I went to do what I figured was going to be an easy task, replacing the parking brake cable that a PO severed. I took the rear drum off, removed the backmost shoe, installed the cable, then put everything back together the way it was originally. I've compared it against other photos and the Chilton's manual.

Everything went back together fine, but I can't get the drum back on. I've fought with it for a while now and I can't get it back in place. Any suggestions?
I just ran into this issue , sounds like the ebrake is slightly engaged back your adjuster all the way off give the shoes an inward shove with your hands then grab ahold of your ebrake cable under the drivers side and see if it releases itself .
waxywilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Also, this sounds incredibly stupid, but do the brake shoes match?

Up until 1978, the Jeep had 11" drums. Starting in 1979 they changed it to 10" drums. If the counterman (kid) at the parts house gave you the wrong shoes, that could do it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Shoe fell into outer backing plate groove... Won't let the drum go back on.

Pull the outer edge of the shoe out of the groove, get it back on the backing plate pads, square up the shoes with the heels of your hands DIAGONALLY, and the drum should go back on...

Drum brakes are like breaker points, it's getting where we don't have to mess with them more and more... Too many moving parts and too many places to mess yourself up...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice, folks!

I actually disengaged the parking brake cable and it didn't help at all, so I took the whole brake apart completely and reassembled it. I guess the stars aligned, because I was able to slide the drum back on easily this time.

I'm glad it happened though, our drums are in bad shape, I'll probably rebuild them completely once I get the $$. The adjuster assembly fell apart as soon as I pulled the drum off and the adjuster wire is missing completely. The rest of the components are pretty well rusted out to where I'm convinced they aren't doing much for me. The parking brake doesn't engage on the driver side drum, so installing the cable was a bit of a waste, but at least the pax side engages, which is somewhat useful. Guess I'll be carrying around chocks longer than I expected.

I've owned the CJ about a month now, can I start swearing at prior owners yet?
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I hope you adjusted the brakes to where you can just hear/feel the shoes drag a bit on the drum.
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.