Rear Drum problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear Drum problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Workethic

Rear Drum problems

I have rear drum brakes, and no end of problems. In the summer, when I have more money, I'm thinking of converting to rear disc.
I rebuilt the rear brakes, one wheel cylinder had leaked brake fluid all over the drum, so I replaced both cylinders, replaced the pads, and replaced the springs, but my parking brakes still suck. I tightened the adjuster to the point where the parking brake pedal is hard to push down, and still the parking brake doesn't grab on one side, and just a little on the other. On the side it doesn't grab, I pulled the wheel off, inspected everything, found nothing out of order that I could see, and put the tire back on.
The side that the parking brakes don't grab, has this unusual wear on the pads, and the axle oil seal has developed a slow leak.
Anybody have ideas?

CJ7 1979 4.3l 1997 vortec V6, Endelbrock 4 barrel carberator and intake manifold, Flo Core waterpump, powermaster alternator, Mallory distributor and fuel pump, headman headers, flowmaster dual mufflers T18A tranny, Dana 20 T-case, 15 Mickey Thompson Rims, 33 by 12.5 Super Swampers, Warn Premium Locking hubs, Rancho 9000 shocks, 4" suspension 3" body lift by Skyjacker, Autometer Z gauges, smittybuilt front and rear bumpers, Tom Woods CV joint rear driveshaft.
[url]www.danhenk.com[/url]
Workethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
cjbilt4me

The oil from the leaking seal could soak into the brake shoes and affect the stopping power.
The seal must be replaced along with the brake shoes.Clean the drum and backing plate/hardware with brake cleaner.
Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly.

Did you have the drums turned?
Unread 01-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Workethic

No, I didn't. I didn't want to pour too much money into the drums, as I wasn't sure if I was keeping the AMC20 or switching to a Dana44. I decided to stick with the AMC20, but install one piece axle shafts, and the kit will give me new oil seals as well. When I have more money, in several months, I was thinking of switching to disc brakes, so why do more to drums I'm just going to replace? My braking is good, as I installed new rotors, caliphers, and ceramic pads in the front, and installed a brake booster.
CJ7 1979 4.3l 1997 vortec V6, Endelbrock 4 barrel carberator and intake manifold, Flo Core waterpump, powermaster alternator, Mallory distributor and fuel pump, headman headers, flowmaster dual mufflers T18A tranny, Dana 20 T-case, 15 Mickey Thompson Rims, 33 by 12.5 Super Swampers, Warn Premium Locking hubs, Rancho 9000 shocks, 4" suspension 3" body lift by Skyjacker, Autometer Z gauges, smittybuilt front and rear bumpers, Tom Woods CV joint rear driveshaft.
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
cwajciec

It sounds like you have stuck emergency brake lines. Take the lines off at the Y connector under the drivers floor pan and pull on the one going to each wheel. They should move freely for a bit. If not, you have to replace the cables. They are fairly cheap and you can get them at jeepdoc.com
cwajciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Rockram1

The rear disc's are fairly cheap to do and you don't need to pony up for the expensive kits. In fact when you are ready to install the 1pc axles go buy a set of front rotors for a 78 Ford f150 4x4 front. Take these and the 1pc shafts to a machine shop and have the flange turned down so the rotors fit over them. This will be your 1st step towards rear disc's. This way when your ready to do the swap you wont have to take the axle apart again. The reason I turn the flange rather than the rotor. When replacing a rotor on the trail you don't have to get it turned and most places won't turn them out.
Let me know when your ready to do the disc conversion and I'll give you a list of the parts you'll need. And where to source them.
Unread 01-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Workethic

I was thinking of swapping in a Dana 44 rear axle, and going with a terraflex conversion kit. It's $450, everything is included, and it had rear discs, but seperate drum brakes just for the parking brake.
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Rockram, don't hold out on us post up with the rest.
Thanks
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Rockram1

Acient Chinese secret!
Unread 01-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Rockram1

Okay here it is.
78 Ford f150 4x4 front rotors for 5 on 5.5 or 78 Chev 1/2 t 4x4 for 6 lug
78 Chev calipers and pads
3/8" longer studs to allow room for rotors
weld on brackets from JR Motorsports. Part# AFC 40120 You need 2 of these.
You'll want the large bracket
Caliper pins
Have the Axle flanges turned down so the rotors will fit over them it is close but I have had no problems.
I installed the rotors and bolted them into place.
Install the JR bracket to the caliper and mock everything up with the bleeders facing up tack the brackets into place. Remove everything and have a licenced welder burn in the welds and reassemble. I'll see if I can find the part # and a link for JR Motorsports and edit this post.

Edit:http://www.jrmotorsportsltd.com/prod...productID=4816

Last edited by Rockram1; 01-08-2006 at 09:15 PM..
Rockram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Almost forgot about this, thanks.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.