Rear Drum Brakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear Drum Brakes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
ahuppertz
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The drums do have a use. If you have an open diff and get stuck on ice with one front and one rear tire spinning, you can use the emergency brake slowly (even the CJ7 owners manual mentions it) or give the brake pedal a hard fast shot to load up the spinning wheel until it reaches enough torque to break the other wheel free. It works well with some practice.

Sometimes, all 4 will spin out, but the disk brakes don't load up as nice or smooth as shoes do.
quite true. i'm used to the 4 wheel lockup (apocalyptic abs fail) it decided that if one wheel was turning at any speed slower than 5 miles an hour, it'd lock all 4 until i turned my jeep off, then back on and pumped the brakes. do they have that same usefulness on a posi though?

Unread 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuppertz View Post
do they have that same usefulness on a posi though?
The posi shoudn't need it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
ahuppertz
1993 ZJ 

sweet, thanks!
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

I'll add one small tidbit of advice.

I just got a new (to me) waggoneer axle last weekend. The adjustors worked nicely and I had them backed off completely. (You may want to squirt some penetrating oil in the access hole now to make your job easier). I still could not get the drums to budge. I took my torch and applied just a little heat to the drum all the way around where they seat on the axle, it literally popped right off. When I say little I'm talkin like maybe 10 seconds, you don't want to warp or crack them.

Ok that was 2 tidbits. you got a bargain.
Roadymi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
truckie561
1982 CJ8 

Watch what brake hardware kit you get. I know there are kits for the 9 inch drums and 11 inch drums. The springs are different lengths. I just got done doing my drums and I replaced everything but the backing plates...give me a shout if you get into a jam. Also, go to Harbor Frieght and spend the $10 on their brake tool kit.....helped me a lot
truckie561 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
stansama
1980 CJ7 

Hey everyone, back again with problems. I had to put the jeep on hold for a while due to some family issues, and just tried again today to take the drums off. Got to the star wheel and turned it up, still couldn't remove the drum. Tried down, up, doing 20+ turns in each direction. The drum will pull off the lugs a little bit, then snap back into place. It's being held in the center where the metal axle dust cap is. Does this come off somehow? Looked behind the drum and there are four bolts that seem to hold the backing plate on, and two toward the top that turned in place as if there were a nut on the inside. What am I missing here? Getting frustrated with old rusty parts >:| Thanks again everyone. Can't wait to have a fully functional Jeep to ride around in.
stansama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
kmulholl
1985 CJ8 

i did mine (1983 cj7) a month ago. 3 screws in face of drum removed ? ( i used impact screw driver and hammer) ? i had plastic dust caps that came off with light pressure on channel locks. sprayed all contact areas with pb blaster. couple good whacks between lugs and it popped off. good luck
kmulholl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #23
stansama
1980 CJ7 

Yea I removed the screws, so those aren't an issue. I've tried banging all around with a hammer, front, sides, and from the back outward.
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
Twistedper
1979 CJ7 

I had one just like your going through and after I finally got it off I could see why. There is a spring on the bottom that is suppose to keep the shoes tight against the star wheel thingy. Well that spring was broken on mine lucky for me I didn't have much of a lip on the drum. I think what you might want to try to do is see if you can stick a screwdriver between the back plate and the drum and push in on that brake shoe and pop that side loose. I think that is what I did to get mine off. Anyway good luck!
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
kmulholl
1985 CJ8 

it's gotta be those adjusters. make sure you're going the right way , turn the drum as you do it. back them all the way in. don't give up, they'll come loose.
kmulholl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #26
popascj7
1976 CJ7 

It sounds like your shoes are holding the drum on, you have to adjust the star wheel until the shoes clear the drum, if the drum is worn alot then you have to adjust the star quite a lot. The shoes sometimes hang up on the backing plate and don't release when the star wheel is adjusted in. Keep trying and make sure your turning the star the correct direction.
popascj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #27
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

OK, maybe dumb question, but did you remove the big center nut holding the drum onto the axle?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #28
stansama
1980 CJ7 

Mike, I don't have access to the center nut due to the dust cover. Don't see any way that this comes off. Should the star wheel turn from the bottom up, or from the top down? I tried both directions with no luck, but maybe I need to go further.
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
daltonw
1981 CJ7 

the dust cover that is over the nut just pops off. I used channel locks and kept working it back and forth pulling at the same time. It comes off but it can be tough. I just left mine off now.
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #30
truckie561
1982 CJ8 

Can you post a picture of what you're looking at? I know on mine, I didn't have to remove any nut or dust cover. Once I pulled my wheel off it just took some good whacks with a hamma' to get the thing to come off. My drums would initially rebound back too, which is when I used a long screw driver to pry with and a bigga hamma' to finally get it loose. Good Luck
truckie561 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.