Rear drivetrain noise above 30mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear drivetrain noise above 30mph

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Kenmo
1985 CJ7 

Rear drivetrain noise above 30mph

I need some help tracking down what I think is a bearing noise from either my Dana 300 or the AMC 20.
In two WD 30mph and above, under load, meaning when I'm on the gas I am getting what almost sounds like tire whine (Bearing noise?). It goes away in 4 lock or when coasting. It gets louder the faster I go. I removed the rear driveshaft and took a drive in 4 lock and it is quiet.
I had the Txfer case out when I rebuilt the T177 a few weeks ago and could not feel anything funky in the bearings. I have new universals on the rear driveshaft. I lifted the rear and cannot feel or hear anything in the rear axle.

Anybody have any tips on isolating noises between the output of the Dana 300 from the rear axle?
Thanks

Kenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
S76
1984 CJ7 

If it were mine, I would jack up the rear and run it in gear using the brake to simulate the load to reproduce the noise. Using a long screwdriver to my ear I would listen to the Dana output bearing and to the 20 pinion bearings. The screwdriver acts like a stethoscope and you will hear where the noise is coming from. Or you can by an automotive stethoscope to do the same thing.

However, Having someone run it in gear while you crawl underneath is dangerous. Or, you could take it to a garage and have them do it on a lift.

My guess is ring or pinion bearings.
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Did you replace both u-joints? That's usually the culprit.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
S76
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
Did you replace both u-joints? That's usually the culprit.
" I have new universals on the rear driveshaft. I lifted the rear and cannot feel or hear anything in the rear axle."
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Double8racer
1984 CJ7 

check if there is any play on the rear wheels
mine just threw a outer wheel bearing and it took me melting a set of pads and a few hrs work to find it
Jack it up and see if there is any play in bearing up down left and right
noise was similar to yours but changes tone more in left or right hand turns/curves
good luck
Double8racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.