rear brakes hate them - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rear brakes hate them

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
kdjc1912
1980 CJ7 

rear brakes hate them

Ok hear goes I got a 80 '7 one of
the rear wheel cylinders is leaking. I got the three screws out. Does the dust cover have to come off also. I hate rear brakes with a passion. I have pb blasted the crap out of this thing. Which way do you turn the star wheel up or down to loosen up the brake shoes.

kdjc1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
wkp
1980 CJ7 

Take the wheel off and remove the drum. If you are not familiar with removing brakes, take a pic of the the brake shoes and spring arrangements before you take anything apart. It will help to make sure everything goes back together correctly. After removing the drum, remove brake shoes and springs to allow access to the wheel cylinder. You shouldn't have to turn the star wheel to remove brakes, just remove the springs that hold all in place. Springs can usually be removed with a good pair of Vise Grips. Once brake shoes have been removed, disconnect brake fluid line going into back of wheel cylinder. It can be very difficult to loosen this line without damaging the brake line itself. Worse case, you will have to also replace that section of brake line. Then remove the bolts ( from the rear ) that hold the wheel cylinder in place. From there, bolt in new wheel cylinder and put everything back in place. You will have to bleed that wheel when you are finished to remove air from the line and new cylinder. Hope this helps.
wkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Do you have any kind of manual to start off with?? At minimum go to parts and get you a chiltons or Haynes manual for your jeep.

There are also links around here to online manuals, although they may be for other year models, majority of content is same for cj's.

As for which way to turn self adjuster....if your wheel gets tighter and won't spin....go other way!!! Can't think off top of my head actual direction. Then hope your drum comes off, my right one I have to use a pneumatic rivet gun to get it to come off.

Also google rear brake removal on you tube, am surprised everyday at the videos on there.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

To release the brakes, you can turn the star wheel one way really easy, trying to turn it the other way is really hard due to the adjuster linkage.

If it turns easy both ways, then turn it one way about 10 movements and then see if you can spin the drum. If it is rubbing, you need to turn it the other way.

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Here is the Chilton Manual online. It will cover all years all vehicle. Free
http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/mode19592?db=chll
ID Number to access: 0210374362
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

You can never be sure that someone did not put the adjusters in on the wrong side. Normally you turn the wheel up when adjusting through the backing plate to expand the shoes. I have seen some wheels where it goes the other way but this is not typical. When turning that wheel in the direction of expanding the shoes, you will hear the self adjuster click against the notches on the wheel. When you turn the wheel to loosen the shoes the adjuster should catch on the wheel and not let it turn unless the parts are worn out. So to loosen the shoes you might have to hold the bar which catches the notches on the wheel away from the wheel with a screwdriver so you can turn the wheel that way.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I have to disagree,
Take Picutures of EVERYTHING FROM ALL ANGLES!

Remember, there is a 'Left' and 'Right' set of parts, and they don't interchange,
Others you can swap from side to side with no problems.

Brakes are easy once you figure out how they work, so spend some time messing with them so you understnd how they work, then it won't be an issue next time.

The adjuster ALWAYS moves 'UP' to tighten the adjuster, but again, the adjuster and adjuster lever have a right and left set, so if you get them on the wrong side, it won't work and it will drive you nuts until you get them on the correct side.
Some parts aren't marked, so That's a good reason for the pictures of everything.

Leaving one side assembled (If it's working and the parts aren't laying in the bottom of the drum or missing from the last PO or two) will show you how to assemble your parts...
It's usually the adjuster cable & linkage that drives people to the point of lighting a match to the entire project, but people seem to be missing the E-brake transfer bar at the top much of the time for some reason I can't explain...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
You can never be sure that someone did not put the adjusters in on the wrong side. Normally you turn the wheel up when adjusting through the backing plate to expand the shoes. I have seen some wheels where it goes the other way but this is not typical. When turning that wheel in the direction of expanding the shoes, you will hear the self adjuster click against the notches on the wheel. When you turn the wheel to loosen the shoes the adjuster should catch on the wheel and not let it turn unless the parts are worn out. So to loosen the shoes you might have to hold the bar which catches the notches on the wheel away from the wheel with a screwdriver so you can turn the wheel that way.
This is kinda what Foggy talks about holding up a bar with a screw driver.

Get one of those adjustment wrenches. They do work great!
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Convert to discs.....

jus' kidding
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Here is a visual reference to help.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I have to disagree,
Leaving one side assembled .......
One trick that works for me is that as I take apart the drum parts, I set each piece inside the drum (on the ground) roughly where it would be when installed.

Then work in reverse, pulling the parts from the drum.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.