Rear body mount bolts on a 78 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear body mount bolts on a 78 CJ5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
ETJeep

Rear body mount bolts on a 78 CJ5

I'm getting ready to put my tub back on the frame. Of course, when I took it off, I had to cut off the bolts on the rear body mounts (the ones that mount on the rear bumper). In previouse discussions, it was suggested that I just weld a new nut onto a piece of sheet metal and insert it into the channel.

My question is this. I need to cut an opening in this channel to remove the old bolt (and treat the rust). Where should I cut the openings? Should I:

1 Cut through the outer sheet metal
2 Cut from behind
3 Cut from underneith

I started cutting from the outside (right under the fuel filling opening) but it seemed pretty thick, like there was some sort of reinforcement in that area. Before I went any farther, I thought I better ask the experts.

Any suggestions? I'll try to get a pic at lunch and post it, but nothing right now.

Thanks,

E T

ETJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

If the tub's off, flip it and just peal back the boxing that makes up the rear channel rail
Why not just drill out the broken bolt and retap the existing nut (plate)?

We are talking about the mount location shown where the tie down is connected?
Not sure if the 79 and 84 tubs are the same but if you can't tap the existing, I'd work the repair from the inside.

Unread 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
ETJeep

Yea, that's the setup. I had to cut them off because the captive nut inside broke loose (cage rusted away).

So when looking at your photo, I would cut from the right, from the inside portion of the tub?
ETJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

I'd pop open the welds with a cut-off or sawzall and peel it back like this:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.