Rear axel set up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear axel set up

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
mirage100
1976 CJ7 

Rear axel set up

I need to twist my rear axel so I can weld the axel brackets up. I have a AMC 20 rear end and the jeep is a CJ7 .. It has a 4.5 Rubicon lift. The trans is a NV4500 with a Dana 300 transfer case. Does anyone know how many degrees I need to twist the rear end. I hope I gave enough info. Thanks

mirage100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
CSP

You need to get an angle finder and determine that for yourself. Everybody has a different setup.

I believe I've given this link to you before, but here it is again. Read it, learn it, understand it.

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
mirage100
1976 CJ7 

Thanks CSP I have read this before. I still do get how many degrees I should turn the rear end . I am going to go with the CV type u joint and a Tom Wood drive shaft. I know people say turn it till it lines up with the yoke of the transfer case. Maybe I just have to get a straight edge and craw under there and try to figure out what looks good.
mirage100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
CSP

Look at the third diagram on that webpage. That's how it's supposed to look. Do some searching on this site and other CJ forums. You're not the first person to ask this question and people have posted multiple pictures, but you want any angle in the ujoints to be at the CV end of the shaft. Your rear can point two or three degrees down from being a straight line to make up for upward rotation of the pinion under power.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.