Rear 20 Disc Upgrade - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear 20 Disc Upgrade

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #46
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

When I upgraded my 76 CJ7 rear AMC 20 to disk brakes I pulled the stub axles out of the donor 300zx and cut the caliper brackets off and used them on the AMC 20. Fit very nicely and I used three bolts to bolt up the the axle flange. Had to use a few spacers to center the caliper onto the Suzuki Samari rotor. I found it cheaper to buy the rotors new than to buy used ones at the junkyard. They were cheap. The rear CJ emergency brake cables also worked, as I used the mounting block on the end of my emergency brake cables to mount the cables and attach them to the caliper. Later model CJ's did not have this mounting plate on the end of the emergency cable.

So you have to pull the stub axle out, to get the brkt, you can't unbolt it from the swing arm? I didn't that close of attention but I thought they unbolted ,like the Maxima.!

wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #47
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
So you have to pull the stub axle out, to get the brkt, you can't unbolt it from the swing arm? I didn't that close of attention but I thought they unbolted ,like the Maxima.!
No, they were welded onto the stub axles.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #48
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
Hmm 1 ton axles, too bad your not closer I have a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear I need to unload!

I am a long ways from doing that upgrade. I have to break my current set up before I can justify the time and expense. I also need a bigger shop, so I can take my time. The Jeep is sharing the garage with 2 other cars (wife and mother in law).

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #49
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

No, they were welded onto the stub axles

Jim

I spent about 5 hours in the pic a part, found 1 94 Maxima, and about 1/2 a dozen 300 z cars. The thing I noticed was the way the parking brake hooked up. The Maxima's use a hook for the cable that has a elongated slot to hook into. The z car's had a swedged end on the cable like the jeep cable, but the ones I looked had a clevis pin that the cable went through, Jim is that what you have?
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #50
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway92407 View Post
No, they were welded onto the stub axles

Jim

I spent about 5 hours in the pic a part, found 1 94 Maxima, and about 1/2 a dozen 300 z cars. The thing I noticed was the way the parking brake hooked up. The Maxima's use a hook for the cable that has a elongated slot to hook into. The z car's had a swedged end on the cable like the jeep cable, but the ones I looked had a clevis pin that the cable went through, Jim is that what you have?
As soon as it stops raining here I will go out to the shop and get a pic of the caliper I am using.

Jim
Unread 12-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #51
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Here are some pictures of the ZX caliper I used on my 1976 CJ-7 rear AMC 20 disk upgrade project. The first picture is of the caliper itself, at the bottom of the picture you can see the emergency brake spring and clip to hold the emergency brake cable end.

The second picture shows the angle bracket I made to support the emergency brake cable support bracket that is part of the CJ 76 emergency brake cable. This bracket used to bolt up to the back of the brake drum.

The third picture shows the CJ emergency brake cable attached to the ZX caliper.

Hopefully this helps

Jim
zx-caliper.jpg   brake-2a.jpg   brake-3a.gif  
Unread 12-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #52
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Jim, thanks for the pic's, the ones that I've been finding out here are a little different for the parking brake. The parking brake cable where it hooks to the caliper as in the #3 pic on the ones I have found that piece has a split loop with a clevis pin the cable goes through the split loop and is held tn place by the clevis pin. This is hard to explain so tomorrow I will take a pic with my phone. this is an 87 but the catalog says they are the same. In pic #1 what is the flat bar with the slot opposite the brake hose for? Thanks Dave
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #53
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
In pic #1 what is the flat bar with the slot opposite the brake hose for
You can also see it in picture #3, it is a guide for the emergency brake cable.

Notice I installed the caliper in the same position as in the 300zx on the back side not on top for two reasons, so the bleeder valve would be on top, and so the OEM CJ emergency brake cable would fit. Many install the caliper on top, but I installed it on the back side as originally installed on the 300zx. That is why I removed the original caliper mounting brackets from the 300zx stub axles. The ones everybody was selling ended up mounting the cailiper on top, not on the back side. After installing the calipers I bleed the brakes with a simple gravity feed, worked just fine.

Jim
Unread 12-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #54
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Ok gotcha it looks different in the 2 pic'c

Thanks Dave
Unread 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #55
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Hey you guys that have done this upgrade.

Have you had any pad dragging issues? I am having slight issues I can turn the rotor by hand but I hear the pad on the rotor lightly in certain areas. Should I worry about this? Or should I just let it wear in a bit?

I have tried everything I can think of to try to widen the caliper "grip"

Any suggestions?

Last edited by CJman77; 01-06-2010 at 03:56 PM..
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #56
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

They will always touch, but should not make it difficult to turn the rotor. Compare with your front discs they should feel and sound the same.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #57
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallymetal View Post
They will always touch, but should not make it difficult to turn the rotor. Compare with your front discs they should feel and sound the same.
Yeah they are touching a little...I found that my rotor was rubbing a tiny bit on the maxima cal bracket. So I went at it with a file and no more rubby. The axle turns no problem, but its not like super loose which I am assuming is a good thing. ALL the guts in the diff are brand new except the carrier. So there is no wear and its freshly built so I am assuming this is normal. Also its not full of fluid yet just sprayed down with some WD40 to stop rust.

Some pics!

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #58
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallymetal View Post
hmmm well I am having major dragging issues. Kinda starting to wish I would kept the drums....THis is a pain NTM I think the brand new rotors are no where close to true
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #59
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Not sure if it is an optical illusion, but in the middle pic above, the caliper mount doesn't look to be parallel to the rotor. This would cause the binding issue if the caliper a not true to the rotor.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #60
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Not sure if it is an optical illusion, but in the middle pic above, the caliper mount doesn't look to be parallel to the rotor. This would cause the binding issue if the caliper a not true to the rotor.
Yeah I know what your saying.....Its a product I believe of the angle I took the pic at. Cause I made sure it was straight.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.