Rear 20 Disc Upgrade - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rear 20 Disc Upgrade

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 09-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

So the blue ring is just the remains of the drum backing plate? The question here is that while we know the Dana 44 needs it, what about the AMC20?

If you have to take it all off anyway, some numbers would be great.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAD_Cowboy View Post
So the blue ring is just the remains of the drum backing plate? The question here is that while we know the Dana 44 needs it, what about the AMC20?

If you have to take it all off anyway, some numbers would be great.
Yes, the blue RTV is all over the original backing plate. I don't know if it is really needed or not.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallymetal View Post
There is something I noticed by using the Maxima bracket and caliper rather than 300ZX. In the photo you can see the adapter plate has space at the top of it, that's where the 300ZX bracket bolts to. The Maxima bracket is a bit lower on the adapter. I am glad I didn't drill the holes prior to fitting it up.

BTW I am using the original proportioning valve and it is fine.

I hear alot about a caliper and bracket. Whats the bracket? Do I need one? How do I get it by buying a caliper from a parts house? I know my local yard doesnt have a 300z so I just plan on buying new stuff?
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, I would think it would be hard to get the caliper mounting bracket from a parts house. I went to the salvage yard and grabbed it with the caliper from a 96 Maxima. The yellow lines are identifying the manufactured adapter to adapt the Nissan caliper bracket to the AMC 20, and the holes that would be needed for the 300ZX mounting. I personally wouldn't drill any holes until you get the whole thing fit up with clamps. You will need to do some more research, as I don't have all of the dimensions at my disposal. I do know the drum backing plate is 1/8" (0.125 in) and the manufactured adapter is made from 3/8" (0.375) steel.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Well, I would think it would be hard to get the caliper mounting bracket from a parts house. I went to the salvage yard and grabbed it with the caliper from a 96 Maxima. The yellow lines are identifying the manufactured adapter to adapt the Nissan caliper bracket to the AMC 20, and the holes that would be needed for the 300ZX mounting. I personally wouldn't drill any holes until you get the whole thing fit up with clamps. You will need to do some more research, as I don't have all of the dimensions at my disposal. I do know the drum backing plate is 1/8" (0.125 in) and the manufactured adapter is made from 3/8" (0.375) steel.
OKay so basically I just need the homemade bracket and the plain old parts house caliper and I should be set?
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #21
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

So you also need the factory cast mounting mounting bracket. This is the piece (in blue) that I doubt you are going to be get from a parts house. Best to find a donor from the salvage yard for either an 96 Maxima (my case) or from the 300 ZX that others have used. The rubber brake lines from the Nissan even threads right onto the factory CJ hard line.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #22
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
So you also need the factory cast mounting mounting bracket. This is the piece (in blue) that I doubt you are going to be get from a parts house. Best to find a donor from the salvage yard for either an 96 Maxima (my case) or from the 300 ZX that others have used. The rubber brake lines from the Nissan even threads right onto the factory CJ hard line.
Okay okay I get it now.....Where am I gonna find this damn thing!

Last edited by CJman77; 12-01-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #23
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

You have to locate these parts at the local pull and save (or equivalent), then use the calipers , if unusable, for the core at your parts store. Really is easy, but salvage yards are fun for me..

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #24
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
You have to locate these parts at the local pull and save (or equivalent), then use the calipers , if unusable, for the core at your parts store. Really is easy, but salvage yards are fun for me..
Ok so I went to the pick n pull today. I found not nissan z's but I found lots of 96,97,98,99 maximas and none had rear calipers still on em....except one and it only had the passenger side caliper and bracket. So I grabbed it and then I grabbed a 91 maxima caliper to fool the parts house monkeys as a core....auto zone never check should work perfectly! hahahahhaha lol

Upon further research and wonder what the hell I am gonna do I found this:

REAR CALIPER BRACKET 95 96 97 98 99 00 01 NISSAN MAXIMA:eBay Motors (item 200410826473 end time Dec-26-09 02:01:37 PST)

Like 35 with shipping but that beats driving all over creation to find one! So I bought it and I should be set!

Now my bolts holes are pre drilled cause besrk hooked me up with a pair of the adaption brackets. But after seeing how low yours are I think I shouldnt have any problem drilling another hole.

Any tips or tricks to getting the hole in the right place?

Also with the 96 maxima calipers you used an 86 (or the like) samuri front rotor? I need to make sure I buy the right stuff!

Thanks

Brian
Unread 12-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Yes recieved my caliper bracket today. Exactly the same as the one I removed. I have now found out I can buy them even cheaper from autozone or advance. So in the future as long as you use the 96 maxima calipers you dont need to even visit the junkyard.

So total metal what the best way to figure out where to drill through this thing?
Unread 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
So total metal what the best way to figure out where to drill through this thing?
Sweet! I figured those mounting brackets would have been impossible to find, new. Your perseverance has paid off. Now you need that manufactured adapter plate.

After it is cut out of 3/8 plate, clamp it all together (c-clamps), center the pad as close to the middle of the rotor as possible without touching the rotor with the caliper (I allowed 1/8" at the closest point), mark your holes. Drill and bolt up! The threads are on the factory mounting bracket and mount the adapter to the axle housing with fine thread grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 12-07-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Unread 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #27
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
I have now found out I can buy them even cheaper from autozone or advance. So in the future as long as you use the 96 maxima calipers you dont need to even visit the junkyard.
According to that e-bay ad, 95 through 01 Maxima's are the same.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #28
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
According to that e-bay ad, 95 through 01 Maxima's are the same.
Yah they are.... They are cheaper if you buy them from autozone I believe. I already have the b rackets they are already drilled for the 300zx calipers but I should still have plenty of room to drill another hole. It looks as though yours are drilled much much lower for the maxima cals as opposed to the 300z cals. Hopefully I can have this together by the end of the week!
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #29
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

BTW, I have read that some people needed to replace the proportioning valve after doing this... I did not and it works fine for me. I am still running manual brakes ATT, not sure how it's going to act after adding the hydro boost.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Does anyone have a pattern for the bracket for a AMC 20 that I could download? Does anyone know what the difference is between the Maxima and the z car? My mill is ancient like it made parts for tanks in wwll.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.