Is it really worth it?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is it really worth it??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
jeepcj5guy
1978 CJ5 

Is it really worth it??

i have a 78 jeep cj5 and everyone says restoring it and making it a crawler isnt worth the time or money, im thinking of just getting a newer wrangler and saving some money, the thing is i dont even have the money for anything right now!! i see all these awesome jeep builds and am so jealous, what does everybody do to afford this!!

jeepcj5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
shok47
1983 CJ7 

Ive thought about saving and just buying a TJ after I bought my CJ7, but my feelings changed after driving it for awhile. Even with my bad frame, I still dont want to go to a TJ, but stay CJ and do a frame swap. There's just this positive feeling you get when owning a CJ that you will never get with newer jeeps. Simplicity and the fact that you do everything yourself changes your mind.

For me, if I ever see a CJ around here, I get so excited because all the jeeps I see are now TJ and YJ...
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had a TJ... Put a 4" lift, ford 9", arb front and rear... Loved it!!! I sold it, had sellers remorse, bought a 74 CJ5 that needed work. It is still in pieces, but I love it more than my TJ!!! I told my wife that once I finish this one, I'm buying another!!! I love the fact that I can work on every part of it, I don't have to worry about smog crap, and just the feeling of knowing that I did all the work is awesome!!! I can't wait to drive it, but that doesn't make me want to go buy a running one, it just makes me want to work on it more!!! good luck!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

5guy, You have to do what your heart tells you to do...For me its the love of the old CJ. They are becoming a rare vintage and they just get better with age. The last line of Jeeps from a bye gone era in American history. My family has owned YJ, TJ & JK. But I always have my good ole CJ.

As for how to afford it (as it can be expensive)....good old fashion work, saving, and plenty of time.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
azpackrat

Question is what do you want? don't build your project according to other peoples plans and biases, last time I checked they still weren't giving away TJ's and a good long arm required a second mortgage. Your still going to want lockers, gears, tires, bead locks, engine performance eqpt.,etc. Basically the same stuff you need for a CJ so.... If you like the CJ build it and critics be damned.
azpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Build it one day at a time.. nobody's rig on here went from the junkyard to the trail in a week. It's expensive sure, but you just do what you can afford when you've saved up enough money to do it.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
frank c
1981 CJ5 

MMERLINA"s right mine was sitting for 2 years in the yard all I was doing was waiting till I could take one step at a time.
Now my engine is in the machine shop and I'm started on the resto project could be another year or more I hope NOT
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

It's a CJ thing, and whatever it is, it's worth it. There's just something about that rounded face and old school dash, etc etc etc. I can spot them coming the other way from a mile away, and I always holler "Look Look a CJ!!" to my wife and kids, like I just saw a movie star or something. I take that back, I wouldn't react to seeing a movie star with as much excitement as I do when I see a CJ out on the road, but you get my point. My kids are starting to get it, and they spot out the Jeeps on the road as well. I can't give you an answer on the money, sometimes I don't know either.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

If you don't eat as much you can put that money into your jeep!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

For the last couple of years I picked one or two bigger projects for every spring on the jeep. In the winter I would try to do smaller stuff and rebuilds og small stuff that could be done indoors.

Little bit at a time.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
spcmac249
1979 CJ5 

I got my 79 cj5 back in 06. I put a couple of small things on it then lost my job. It sat for 3 years before i got a better job than i lost. I just started to buy things for it again. If you are looking at budget constraints not everything you need has to be new. Junkyards are a good place to get things like axles. Craigs list is hit or miss. Sometimes you find what you are looking for at a really cheap price. I.e. I just bought a ford np435 for $40 off of craigs list. I have been looking for one for a little over a year. I also got a 44 for $90. you have to just keep looking for good deals.
BNB #156
spcmac249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
oteps
1980 CJ5 

I say keep the cj5 and build it up part by part. I dont have a lot of money in mine, its more of a beater jeep. I bought used 33 inch swampers for it, I built a t18 from a ford and IH tranny for $130, put a set of stock yj springs on it, body lift, 360 out of a waggy(that I parted out and made money on), I made a belly up skid pan, and a bunch of other parts that I made or bought used.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj5guy View Post
i have a 78 jeep cj5 and everyone says restoring it and making it a crawler isnt worth the time or money .....
I bet they don't have one. It is worth it. Worth every penny and more.
The thing is though, that if you don't take the project on with a plan you will waste a lot of money that could have been better spent on your CJ.
I can tell you this. CJ's are going up in price and have been. I am talking about a nice restored to stock (or with just a few mods) CJ. Mine cost more than it sold for brand new. I can also tell you this. Many have sunk money into theirs that they can never get back with sale of Jeep. They take a loss.
This is my second CJ7. I also have a Tacoma 4X4, also my second one. Unless you are in competition a stock 4X4 will do all the crawling you need. Disclaimer ... I have not wheeled in Utah and understand it does have special trails. Unless you are extreme a mild CJ will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

YJs are like the CJ7's ugly redheaded stepchild
and TJs are too expensive in both initial cost and cost of parts

CJ's have so much more character, Any CJ just has that timeless jeep look

and on how to afford it, two words:

ramen noodles
rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

there is something special about a cj there easy to build and with no how and a similar amount of money you can make a cj with style that will krawl with the tjs and then some with plenty more power .I was a lifeguard for a summer and do work for all my friends the key is doing as much of your own work as you can and takeing your time and doing it right so you dont have to do it agian

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.