The really original style CJ5 soft tops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The really original style CJ5 soft tops

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
PanteraPilot
1978 CJ5 

The really original style CJ5 soft tops

So is it possible to locate a truly original style soft top. Best Tops that are made now have metal door latches that you place your hand in and pull. The original style tops had a plastic door handle that rotated. To close the door one twisted the handle and it caught on the frame. This is what I'm looking for, but it doesn't seem to be available. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and where to find this kind of top, I would appreciate knowing.

PanteraPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
CSP

You're stuck with finding a used top for those rotating handles. The original ones had metal handles as well, not plastic.

Whitco made the OEM tops and they've been out of business for close to 20 years now.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

You mean like this:
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
PanteraPilot
1978 CJ5 

Yup. Have you ever seen one for sale anywhere (in black)? I have bad feeling CSP is right.
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

You have the option of a older one and re doing it...........

I am making a custom one for mine.......but any reason is a good excuse to acquire more tools such as a walking foot sewing machine.

Thousands of videos on youtube on how to make various seams and sew in windows etc.

For me the cost of material and a sewing machine will be far less that a top will cost and I can make it the way I want in the material I want.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
OlympicMountain
1972 CJ5 

The door latches are plastic now? Great! I'll have to make sure I keep my old ones. My current top is a Kayline with metal handles like the ones you are talking about. My last Bestop had metal handles as well, but I guess that was thiry years ago. Wholly crap... I'm getting freaking OLD.

My Acronym for Jeep:

Jeopardizing
Everyone
Else’s
Priorities
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
PanteraPilot
1978 CJ5 

Well it looks like I need to keep an eye out for a half decent used old style one. I'm surprised nobody makes one this way.
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

If it is just the style of door you like, I had a guy throw a tan set of those doors in with a axle I bought recently. They seem like they are in decent shape. Might need to replace a window. You could have them for the price of shipping. Let me know if you are interested and I'll take some photos.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
PanteraPilot
1978 CJ5 

Thanks, but I think its not just the door, but the door frame is different too (I'm working from memory though). I believe the newer tops have a larger piece of vertical steel where the door would latch. They also seem to have a piece of steel that runs along the flat top of the rear body. The old one snapped down on the sides. This side part is less of an issue to me though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.