Really Low Idle and Running Cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Really Low Idle and Running Cold

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
jerm1978
1985 CJ7 

Really Low Idle and Running Cold

I have a CJ7 with a 304. Nothing major; pretty much stock. Recently though its having a hard time idling (any gear including park).

It's idling very low. It does this when I first crank up. Then once I let it run it gets a little better, but then once driving around for twenty minutes it starts going bad again and sitting at a red light it gets so low I have to give it gas to keep it from dying. I've also noticed that its running cold. My gauge doesn't show actual temps, but its running at half of what it has always run at and I've had the Jeep for 12 years (even in 100 degree weather).

When you give it gas and your running at speed it seems fine. Over course because its having such a hard time to idle and keep up its RPMs, its a hard time charging.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thermostat? Water Pump? Timing?

jerm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Texian
1978 CJ7 

I think your thermostat is stuck open. I imagine your gas mileage has taken a major hit too.
Kind of surprised that the fast idle on your choke hasn't engaged.

Easy and cheap fix.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
jerm1978
1985 CJ7 

Don't know about the gas mileage because it idles so I don't dare to drive it very far from the house.
jerm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.