RE Lift Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > RE Lift Install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-18-2004, 05:08 AM   #1
Sodbuster

RE Lift Install

I have two buddies who have installed RE lifts on their CJ's, one is a 4 1/2" the other 2 1/2". I also have one on order. Both of their lifts move the front axle forward about 1/2 inch when measuring theirs vs mine. This causes their tie rods (one is stock the other dropped) to brush against the pitman arm during full suspension travel.

Since I have the skyjacker HD tie rod which is bigger around, I am concerned that I will need to make other changes.

Anybody else come across this problem/solution?

Sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I've done two installs, both 4.5" RE kits and never had that situation. Is it because you shimmed the front axles in both installs? I did not shim my front or my buddies and we've been perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster
I have two buddies who have installed RE lifts on their CJ's, one is a 4 1/2" the other 2 1/2". I also have one on order. Both of their lifts move the front axle forward about 1/2 inch when measuring theirs vs mine. This causes their tie rods (one is stock the other dropped) to brush against the pitman arm during full suspension travel.

Since I have the skyjacker HD tie rod which is bigger around, I am concerned that I will need to make other changes.

Anybody else come across this problem/solution?
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Sodbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68
I've done two installs, both 4.5" RE kits and never had that situation. Is it because you shimmed the front axles in both installs? I did not shim my front or my buddies and we've been perfect.
No, both were basic installs. The interference is very slight, but you can see where the paint is scrapped off of the tie rod. I suppose it is possible that both could have slightly bent tie rods, but looking at my clearance before the install, there is hardly any room to spare - certainly not a half inch.

I was told that the RE springs are 1" longer than stock. That would explain the 1/2" change. Can anyone verify this?

I guess the only thing to do is install and see if a problem exists.
Unread 05-19-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
rjcj-8

The re lift did not change my wheel base of 103"
The springs are longer than stock but thats because of the lift.
Did your buddies put the springs in backwards, the full mil. wrap goes to the spring hanger mounted to the frame rail?
rjcj-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcj-8
The re lift did not change my wheel base of 103"
The springs are longer than stock but thats because of the lift.
Did your buddies put the springs in backwards, the full mil. wrap goes to the spring hanger mounted to the frame rail?
That's exactly what I was thinking this morning when I re-read this.

If you have a CJ and a 4.5" RE lift, this should not be happening.
Unread 05-21-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
Sodbuster

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking this morning when I re-read this.

If you have a CJ and a 4.5" RE lift, this should not be happening.
That's the first thing I checked. They are both installed as per the instructions.

My lift came in yesterday. I'll try to get installed this weekend. I forgot to mention - not that it makes a difference - I've got the Sam's Off Road heavvvy duty pitman arm as well as the Skyjacker tie rod. I had already bent two stock arms.
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #7
thepoloman33

Quick install question

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the 4.5" RE kit, but I have one question that I'm hoping someone can help me with...

I currently have a 4" Pro-Comp lift (total junk) with a Warrior Products Shacke Reversal kit. It's my understanding that the new RE springs are wider than the stock/Pro-Comp springs. I'm worried that the new front springs won't bolt on to the Shackle Reversal kit. My question is, will my shackle reversal kit need to be removed to install this lift?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

'84 CJ7, T-18, ARBs, 33in BFGs, Mopar EFI, 4in Pro-Comp lift.
thepoloman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #8
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Yes you will have to remove them because the springs are a 1/2" wider than the stock springs that fit in your current set up.

The RE kit does come with tapered shackles to get around this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoloman33
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the 4.5" RE kit, but I have one question that I'm hoping someone can help me with...

I currently have a 4" Pro-Comp lift (total junk) with a Warrior Products Shacke Reversal kit. It's my understanding that the new RE springs are wider than the stock/Pro-Comp springs. I'm worried that the new front springs won't bolt on to the Shackle Reversal kit. My question is, will my shackle reversal kit need to be removed to install this lift?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

'84 CJ7, T-18, ARBs, 33in BFGs, Mopar EFI, 4in Pro-Comp lift.
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
thepoloman33

Quote:
Yes you will have to remove them because the springs are a 1/2" wider than the stock springs that fit in your current set up.

The RE kit does come with tapered shackles to get around this.
jadams68,

Thanks for the quick response. This is what I feared. You seem to have a lot of experience with the RE kits.

If you were me, would you remove the Shackle Reversal and install this kit? Is it that good? :-)

Thanks

-Matt
thepoloman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
MudMonster

if the shackle reversal takes the stock wide bushings like the OEM main eye mount than the RE springs should fit there, and they should fit the shackle end because of the RE tapered shackles... i mean the shackle reversal basically takes the stock springs and the RE springs bolt right in place normally...

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #11
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

However the stock bushing width is .5" narrower than the RE springs which are YJ width springs 2.5".

I would personally sell the shackle reversal and put the RE kit on stem to stern. It's just such a great SUA kit out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster
if the shackle reversal takes the stock wide bushings like the OEM main eye mount than the RE springs should fit there, and they should fit the shackle end because of the RE tapered shackles... i mean the shackle reversal basically takes the stock springs and the RE springs bolt right in place normally...
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
MudMonster

are they really? i never noticed when i put in my wrangler springs... touche...

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:17 AM   #13
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Yep that's why they ride so much better than other lifts. And the fact that the shackles are greasable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster
are they really? i never noticed when i put in my wrangler springs... touche...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.