Re 4.5 cj pic request - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Re 4.5 cj pic request

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

Thanks mavsfan001 great pics and great rig. Any complaints?aq

somfukinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfukinguy View Post
Aero that rig is really super clean. It seems like everyone is doing the one inch body lift and 35's..except kponytail. How's the 33's feel on your 5 kponytail?
Thanks, It isn't so clean anymore with several trips to different orv parks but thats what I built it for. Its down right now for wide track axles and a rebuild on the T176, 258 with TBI and 4.o head. FWIW I like the looks of my 35's better, but I ended up installing a 4to1 kit because of the added strain. I will say I have trouble with my front shackles killing the upper bushings. I plan on installing the heavy duty wide hangers and using no lift yj shackles. But to totally change the subject if I did it over again I think I would go genright front fenders, rear crush corners with steel rear flares and the 2.5 RE YJ lift. I have nearly flopped it numerious times. The elevation of 4.5 and narrow track axles seems abit top heavy for some off camber situations JC
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #18
mavsfan001
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks mavsfan001 great pics and great rig. Any complaints?aq
No complaints yet everything fit well and it rides great!!! I did have to use deg. shims on the front end to get it to drive straight down the road at high way speed. Would like to go back and cut the perches and reposition them at the corect caster angle after the springs get completly broke in and settle. My biggest problem now is i am about to re-gear and having trouble deciding if i want to go 4:10 or 4:56 ratio?
mavsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
36's with 4.5" RE and 1" daystar body lift
Real Nice! Looks tough!
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

Aero, I lucked out and have the widetrac axles in mine. I actually got really lucky and found a stock Dana 44 out of a 86 cj, that I am going to swap in also. I have heard the yj springs make a big difference, and I think the yj hangers are not that pricey....I wonder how different the re4.5 yj kit is from the cj? If I only had to mount some new hangers that might not be bad idea, I just don't know if the brakelines and other parts with it match up.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Aero, I lucked out and have the widetrac axles in mine. I actually got really lucky and found a stock Dana 44 out of a 86 cj, that I am going to swap in also. I have heard the yj springs make a big difference, and I think the yj hangers are not that pricey....I wonder how different the re4.5 yj kit is from the cj? If I only had to mount some new hangers that might not be bad idea, I just don't know if the brakelines and other parts with it match up.
I actually think the springs are the same. the front shackels would be straight for the yj instead of using the conversion shackles that RE includes for the CJ. Might compare on their web site or give them a call. One more thing if they haven't chaged it the kit ships with crappy POS aluminum spring shims. Do not use them!!! It has been said before on this forum but they will bent and your u bolts will work loose and your axle will slip on the springs. Ask me how I know. All in all it is still one of the most complet kits for the $$.
Also there are places that sell the kit for less $$ than 4wd or Quad. I had a place saved in my other computer that just drop shipped items for way less money JC
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #22
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

Yea I'm definitely going to go steel shims, I think the best price I found on the 4.5 cj kit is 1089 shipped. I may call re and ask about the yj stuff to see if I could make it fit, it just seems like it would make more sense for a little extra work and money
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #23
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Yea I'm definitely going to go steel shims, I think the best price I found on the 4.5 cj kit is 1089 shipped. I may call re and ask about the yj stuff to see if I could make it fit, it just seems like it would make more sense for a little extra work and money
RE will send you whatever you need. I got the YJ springs and bushings, then everything else were for the CJ. My aftermarket frame was set up for the YJ bushings.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
ditchdog
1983 CJ7 

JC - How does it go down the road? Do you have to chase it at all? Debating a shackle reversal but going with the RE 2.5" lift YJ springs & genright fenders for sure.

Build thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/83-cj7-build-ms-fire-1157472/"]'83 CJ-7 "Ms. Fire"[/URL]
ditchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

What makes you lean toward the 2.5and 1 inch body lift?
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanderson14 View Post
JC - How does it go down the road? Do you have to chase it at all? Debating a shackle reversal but going with the RE 2.5" lift YJ springs & genright fenders for sure.
Mine drives great and I did't use the tranney lowering spacers or the front shims. I'm not sure if the prvious ? is for me or you but. I think with some rear trimming and front flat fenders a person could run 35's with less lift. My 4.5 RE kit with the 1 inch body netted about 6 inches of lift. With narrow track axles it is alittle to tall for off camber wheeling. JMO JC
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

I wonder why some guys have issues with the driveline, and some don't....I am going to go with new driveshafts. I imagine a cv joint would prob solve the driveline shimmy problem
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
somfukinguy
1981 CJ8 

Anybody who posted pics have trouble driving onroad with this kit or feel unsafe?
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #29
ditchdog
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
What makes you lean toward the 2.5and 1 inch body lift?
The 2.5" lift was from the PO (with CJ 2" wide springs) and I put the body lift on for a little more clearance when i put in new body mounts, and so I can get to the bellhousing bolts a little easier. Eventually I will upgrade to the YJ springs, but I'm trying to keep the susp low to have a lower center of gravity, hence the flat fenders in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero mech View Post
Mine drives great and I did't use the tranney lowering spacers or the front shims. I'm not sure if the prvious ? is for me or you but. I think with some rear trimming and front flat fenders a person could run 35's with less lift. My 4.5 RE kit with the 1 inch body netted about 6 inches of lift. With narrow track axles it is alittle to tall for off camber wheeling. JMO JC
I've just heard that they ride better with the shackle reversal, but I bet with a beefier steering setup and softer spring a lot of the stock ride would be alleviated. BTW, thats a real clean rig you've got.

Build thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/83-cj7-build-ms-fire-1157472/"]'83 CJ-7 "Ms. Fire"[/URL]
ditchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #30
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Real Nice! Looks tough!
Thanks!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.