Ratchet's CJ3Bs Builds - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ratchet's CJ3Bs Builds

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Wow thats a lot of flatty buying for a week or two haha. Looking good so far, are you planning on a restro or modding it a bit? Seems like you work very fast!
You're telling me! It's just now starting to catch up with the wallet.
Unfortunately, the build will slow down a bit here soon. We did get a little sidetracked on the 61 restoration to play with the 53 a little.

I am planning a bit of a resto-mod. It will be restored to original more or less. I do plan on running 12 volt electrical, going to electronic ignition, disk brakes up front, and at least a CJ5 roll bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Just wondering, howcome your running the 19 spline rear D44 instead of that narrow Ford nine? The 9 inch is a pretty beafy axle compared to that 19 spline 44.
I wonder that myself! I saw that under the frame and immediately though of a small block Chevy swap, but decided to run the stock drive train. I haven't decided if I am going to sell it or keep it tucked away somewhere for a rainy day. I wish it were just a little wider and I would drop it in the Wrangler in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
This is great! Glad I found your thread. I hope the Heeler doesn't bury anything!!! Keep the pics coming.
Thanks! Nah, she just steals radiator hoses and steering wheels. Both of which have become the favorite toys.... Both of which have outlasted any of her other toys so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
Awesome thread!!! I have two 3Bs of my own and am currently restoring a 53 model. Good luck with the build. here is a link to my build. Maybe there is some info that will help you. Here is where i am at currently... Rolling chassis

Subscribed by the way!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19.../#post12217917
Thanks! Oh yes, I've been keeping an eye on your build thread. I will confess that I covet Dorthy.

Unread 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't accomplish much. I was out of town all weekend.

What little my father and I did after work was to start prepping the firewall and dash donor for surgery.

We cut away almost everything we aren't going to use. There is still some more to peel off, like what is left of the sides of the tub under the seam below the cowl.

Prepare for some massive body surgery coming up.... My good body tub has had the firewall and front floors cut up and out by a PO. My bad body tub has a firewall and dash in excellent shape.
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't accomplished much worth showing off. We've primed and painted a few more parts. We bent brake lines for the frame, although we will probably have to tweak them for the dual reservoir master cylinder. The front springs, hitch, and oil pan are going to be painted tomorrow.

I took the valve cover and oil pan off to clean them up for painting and to inspect a little.

The engine came with the Jeeps as rebuilt, but I can't really assume anything even though it doesn't look bad. I doubt I'll strip it down any farther. (But you never know ) I know it runs well since we swapped it into the 1953 CJ3B one weekend just to see if and how well it ran. If I do have to rebuild it, I have another 134F head I'll rebuild later and swap out with this one.

My oil pan did have a nasty hole that had been repaired:

This one would work fine, but it was a little scarred. So I cheated and scrounged up another oil pan with a skid plate off of another 134F head we have.
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and we're done stripping the body of my 1961 CJ3B down.

Everything else will be replacement panels.
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The brown Santa dropped off a few things today!!!

I'll be able to get the engine buttoned up for good as well as the front axle. He also dropped off my new rear cross member. I just need a few parts for my rear end as well as parts to do the front disk brakes and I'll be set for the rolling chassis.
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the most recent progress. The engine is reassembled and we have a few coats of black on the axles, engine, and a few other chassis parts.

(Sorry for the poor lighting. I snapped these before I buttoned up the garage for the evening.)

Brake lines bent and ran:

Oh, and we realized after the fact that we will probably have to tweak them a bit when I plumb in a dual reservoir master cylinder.

Axles on the rolling chest waiting....
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
1993BlackYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!! You will catch me before you know it!
1971 CJ5 "Dorothy" 225 Dauntless V6
1993 Black YJ 4.0L, 5 speed, Posi-Loc, 35x12.50 MTZ, 4" Skyjacker lift, Ramsey 8500 Winch, OBA, Front Aussie Locked, 8.8 ARB Rear, 4.10s

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 93 Build Thread Over 700pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-1st-jeep-build-1993yj-938195/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][B][B]My 71 "Dorothy" Build Thread Lots of pics :[/B] [COLOR="Red"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1971-cj5-dorothy-1122276/[/url][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]My 53 CJ-3B "Ray" Build[/SIZE][/B]:[SIZE="3"][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1953-cj-b3-ray-1268717/#post12217917[/url][/SIZE]]

[B][I]Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior[/I][/B]
1993BlackYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looks BRAND NEW!! Excellent work.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993BlackYJ View Post
Looks good!! You will catch me before you know it!
Thanks, I'm going to try! I was just browsing your T90 rebuild saga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Looks BRAND NEW!! Excellent work.
Thank you much!
Unread 05-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have many updates here.... I haven't done too much to my 3B and I'm about to pay for the last three credit hours I need to be eligible to sit for the CPA. Hopefully I'll be able to move some extra parts I have as well as my beloved M416 trailer and can get her finished up before long.

We are putting the final touches on making the '53 3B road worthy. Lights work, steering play has been taken up, and the generator and regulator is getting a good once over.

I did include a nice little picture of what is going on...
We also have a garage full of Jeeps. Aside from the two 3B's: there is a YJ waiting on a lift and a restored GPW having the finishing touches put on and a final once over done for the owner.

Dad and I had the '53 3B out in the woods last weekend.... It's a blast to drive. I can't wait to finish up my '61.

Oh, and please pardon the cell phone pictures.... The camera is with my fiancee.
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Things have been crazy here... I'm hoping to get back to work sometime soon on mine. Dad's is running great. After it dropped a cylinder, he pulled the engine out of my CJ5 chassis. It runs great!
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
NV4500
1978 CJ7 

Just thought i'd chime in here. Great built you have going, i can only hope mine goes as well. Thanks for your thread, i'll be checking in regularly to see how things are going ,I need all the help i can get.
NV4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV4500 View Post
Just thought i'd chime in here. Great built you have going, i can only hope mine goes as well. Thanks for your thread, i'll be checking in regularly to see how things are going ,I need all the help i can get.
Thanks, but don't expect it to go too fast here in the near future. I'm currently job searching and planning to relocate 100+ miles away from it. The plus side should be a better job and more $ (for the Jeeps ), the downside will be having to drive 2 hours to work on it.
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Ratchet
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK - It's been more than a year. Where am I? Well.... a lot has changed. In January got a job in "the big city" and moved a few hours away from my Dad's shop, where the B's are sitting AND I could only bring the DD silverado - So no YJ either. The little lady and I have finally nailed down a wedding date which seems to be approaching quickly now. Things are nuts.

The red 1953 3B, which is my dad's, is well on its way. It's grey now. He's restoring it a part at a time as he has time in between restoration jobs. It runs like a clock and he drives it everywhere. The front clip is finished and now he's looking for a body tub.

May I introduce the new and improved "Lucy." Dad posts on the CJ3B forums as Ratchet - Ironically.

As for mine.... the 1961 blue 3B. The chassis was ready to start bolting parts back on and the axles needed rebuilt. I haven't been able to get down to S. Indiana and turn a wrench on it since I moved. My dad has been great though. He's been slowly scrounging parts for "Ethel." I don't know if he was motivated to claim part of his shop back or because he wanted 2 B's to buzz around with, but a few months ago he sent me a picture of a rolling chassis! He scrounged up the axle components she needed and finished then up and bolted them in..... Then as far as I knew, it was just a pile of my Jeep contained in itself sitting in the barn waiting..... Until this morning when Dad send me these pics.

A buddy of his has a buddy with an old Chevy junkyard.... He was able to score these for our B's.

*Edit - And he was able to finish up the disk break swap on my front axle!

Ethel has disk breaks! OK - more like disk brake ready, but still a big leap for Willys kind. Note the dust on the axles -

I'll try to get a few more pics for you guys when I'm back down in a few weeks.... But for now, I figured I would post just to say that Ethel isn't down for the count yet.

I'm hoping to get some body work done this winter. She needs the newer front cowl grafted onto a decent, but older body I have in order to accommodate the newer style brake handle, large gauge cluster and a few other details it has. Other than that this one should be done come spring!

Stay tuned for updates.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Glad you're back and still at it. Congrats on the wedding date. Hope she likes Jeeps! Those are Chevy axles?? From what?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.