Which is rarer: CJ-7 or CJ-5? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which is rarer: CJ-7 or CJ-5?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #31
noahlon
1968 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
After reading this thread I'm happy to say I've been driving my CJ5 as a daily driver the past two weeks.

I'm not going to lie though, it's been rough as hell lol.
Picture?

noahlon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #32
barnes21bb
1979 CJ7 

I search all the closest Craigslist areas for "jeep" each night and see lots of cj7s and cj5s. The ratio around NW Arkansas is probably 60/40 with cj7s being 60. And I probably see one newly listed cj8 per month.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngChase View Post
If you consider the production numbers (courtesy of Golden Hawk

1975-1983 CJ5 production: 222,926
1976-1986 CJ7 production: 379,659

And that 111,888 of these CJ7's were made after the last CJ5, (84-86) maybe there are just a few more '7' survivors.
Except that those numbers leave out 20 years of CJ5 production, from 1955 to 1975. The 55-75 versions seem to have survived somewhat better because of their open channel frame, which didn't trap gunk inside the way the later boxed frame did, which rotted from the inside out. My 74 CJ5's frame is absolutely pristine whereas my 82 Scrambler's is showing signs of decay.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #34
jpr2
1976 CJ7 

Around here I see more cj5s than cj7s which is why I like my cj7
jpr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #35
CooterCJ5
1979 CJ5 

Proud to say this is my cj5 daily driver I just pulled out of the paint booth about 2 weeks ago. I have a few more things to do it it buy runns good.

image-736750502.jpg

image-1130565619.jpg
CooterCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooterCJ5 View Post
Proud to say this is my cj5 daily driver I just pulled out of the paint booth about 2 weeks ago. I have a few more things to do it it buy runns good.
Wow, and you have no handling issues with those massive shackles and steamroller-width booger tires?
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #37
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiembell View Post
1983 CJ5 production run was only a little over 3000 units, which makes mine with the 4.2/T176/Dana 300 one rare beast !
Holy Cow! I didn't know that... That is an amazing fact. My '83 CJ5 is only one of 3000, imagine... God bless.
Jon In Tucson.

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #38
leeherron
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
600,000 CJ5 v 380,000 CJ7
Vs.

the CJ-8 in which only 27,792 were built.

I know, it wasn't part of the question, but deserved to be included!
leeherron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #39
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeester View Post
Easy, CJ7 owners drive their Jeeps, CJ5 owners park them in the garage thinking they are valuable.
Around here only the glass CJ's and a couple of TJ's and a ton of JK's are out in the winter. all the other Cj's hide from the salt.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #40
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I did some looking into what was really made;

CJ-5 from 1954 to 1983 3 main versions 603,303

cj-7 From 1977 to 1986 1 version 375,299

CJ-8 From 1981-1986 1 version 27,792

YJ's From 1987 to 1992 1 version 632,231

Now in my area, Medford, Or. I see about a even mix of 5 & 7's but more YJ's on the city streets. The TJ's are taking over. It seems like there is enough money for the people in the city proper to have TJ's that never see the dirt unless it is in the corners of the streets.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooterCJ5 View Post

Attachment 359099

Attachment 359102
O
M
G

those
SHACKLES.

have you driven this Jeep on the highway? I've never seen shackles that big in my life. Where did you even get those?
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #42
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Ok, Cooter:

Hijacking my own thread here, but looking at your pics of your Jeep, I need to tell you this— first, it looks like you have a narrow-track CJ, like me. Can this Jeep even turn a corner? You're running what appears to be 15.50 or 16.50 tires on those narrow axles. If you never take anything else away from this forum, hear this: be very, VERY careful when turning at speed, my friend. As big as those tires are, I can also see that they're tucked under that body pretty good due to the narrow track axles, which means you're very prone to clipping your springs, especially with those knobby boggers you got. This is a VERY easy way to flip your Jeep, if this Jeep is even drivable in the first place.

A clip of those tires against those springs at speed is not the way you wanna depart this Earth, man. I'm no expert (somewhat of a rookie when it comes to mods, in fact), but here's what I see in your pics:

1) a short wheelbase (CJ5; less stability)
2) narrow axles (pre-'82 CJ; less stability)
3) gi-MONGOUS shackles (unpredictable steering)

I can see a scenario where, because your shackles make the Jeep squirrely to steer & prone to wander or lurch, you try to correct a sudden lurch, over-correct, and turn those knobby boggers right into your springs, causing an instant rollover— because that's what happens when a Jeep tries to drive over itself.

Not trying to scare you man, but this Jeepin thing is supposed to be fun & I'd hate for anyone to have something bad happen while doing it. CJs are already relatively unsafe as it is, and yours looks like a deathtrap. Here's what you need to do:

1) Sell the 16.50s. Use the money to buy 12.50s. I run these on my narrow-track CJ. You'll only rub your springs a tiny bit on the sharpest of parking lot turns if you're not paying attention to your turn radius— and even that can be eliminated if you choose to adjust the steering stops accordingly. Alternatively, you can get a set of '82 or later wide-track axles, but I wouldn't bother— I personally like the narrow-track look, because I can run big offroad tires and still have them tuck into the body nicely and maintain some of the classic Jeep character. 12.50s fit under your factory flares with an inch still to spare.

2) Ditch the footlong shackles. Your Jeep will never be drivable with those things. Use your factory shackles or an aftermarket shackle which is no more than 1.5 inches longer than the factory shackle in a side-by-side comparison. You will have to recoup the rest of the lift that you lose from ditching the monster shackles by getting a set of longer springs, adding a little body lift, or maybe by going spring-over-axle.

We have nearly the same Jeep from the same time period, and my CJ handles very well both on and off-road, so it is possible. Good luck with your build man, but most importantly, be careful— I think everyone has probably taken shortcuts of some kind or another with a Jeep build, but the safety is the area where you don't want to do that if you can avoid it.

Cheers!
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
papa355
1977 CJ7 

First off, I see more 7's around here.

Maybe those are "poser" pics to get cha all wound up............lol. I'd take those boggers off ur hands for ya What size are they?

Good looking jeep........but , yeah the shackles are kinda , well.....ghey

btw....... my 12.50x35's are gonna rub my springs, I have narrow tracks,also. I was thinking about spacers or adjusting the stops(a little bit). But I have 2.5" springs in the front also.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #44
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlon View Post
Picture?

Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #45
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

So what did the wrap cost you, that is cool.

Did you do this before the song came out about camo paint and the guy with a cavilar.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj5 , cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.