random stalls.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > random stalls....

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
bigHeadMarine
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

random stalls....

so ever since i've owned my CJ it seems to stall from time to time... its VERY random and only happens like once a week or so... but its something that i want to figure out... "nobody wants to get stranded"

it can be running fine going down the road or sitting still and then all of a sudden it seems to choke out, die and then takes a while to get started again... it tries to start after you pump the gas pedel repetadly.... like 20+ times then chokes out again.... i checked the fuel filter which seemed to be EMPTY, changed it out and it still does the same things..... now instantly i would think fuel pump was going bad but the fact that the jeep will start after 20 or so pumps on the pedal seems to tell me that the pump is still working. could it be air in the fuel line? not that i know where or how it could get there but still... who knows

any ideas?

Unread 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

mine would do a something like that. i would be driving and it would quit just like you turnd the key off then after a few minutes of trying it would start back up. a couple guys on here sad it could be Ignition control moduel. so i googled the effects of a bad ICM and it hit me thats got to be it. so i changed it and havent had a problem since. it sounds a lot like what you got going on. does spit and sputter or just die with no sign? if it just dies. do a google on bad ICM and see what you get and see if it matchs what your having for trouble.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Two things to ponder.

1. Are you using the fuel return line back to your fuel tank? That return comes off the second, top/edge output on your fuel filter. The filter should be placed in such a way as to be the highest point in your fuel system, this way when you do get air in the lines it ends up in the return line and gets pushed back to the fuel tank.
2. Do you have your charcoal canister installed or? If not what are you doing with your fuel tank vent? If it is just plugged and could be ending up with a vacuum in your tank.

Next time it happens open your fuel tank and listen for the air rushing in, maybe?

Good luck
Unread 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Mine did that and my wife towed it to the shop. A new module and $500 later it stalled 2 weeks later. It was fuel, just can't remember what. I think a new filter and a can of fuel additive did it. Sure was annoying.
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
bigHeadMarine
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

First off... im 99% sure the ignition module isn't an issue due tongue fact that none is installed!!! Secondly... I have only 1 in line and 1 out line on the fuel filter... no return line.... could this be a contributing factor on my super bad gas mileage??? :-(
Unread 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Next time it happens, loosen the fuel cap and see if you get a "swoosh" of air. Or just run with the cap loose and see if the problem still occurs. You could have a venting problem with the fuel system or the system is sucking air.

Define "super bad gas mileage". An '85 CJ7 isn't exactly fuel efficient.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
bigHeadMarine
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well.... since the rebuild... this last week has been the test week... but I am only getting about 110 miles to a tank of gas.... which unless my math sucks real bad... equates out to something like 7 mpg... which is super crappy!!!! I need to figure something else out... with the price of gas only getting higher I have to get a hold on this!
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
trader
1976 CJ5 

i would think that at 7 mpg, you would get some black smoke at exhaust? pull the sparkplugs and see what they look like, looking for soot/flooding condition, and or, oil fouled/low compression. check timing, it will have big influence on mpg.

thanks for your service.
76 cj5, glass body, 360- dui, t150, locked 30 & 20 locked, one piece, 4:10
4 inch susp. lift 1 inch body, 33 swampers, disc front brake,
mile marker winch,on board air, agr steering, full roll cage.
trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigHeadMarine View Post
I have only 1 in line and 1 out line on the fuel filter... no return line.... could this be a contributing factor on my super bad gas mileage??? :-(
With out the return line you could be fighting a vapor lock issue with fuel from time to time.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
tevans59

1979 CJ7 

After replacing holley 600, fuel filter, and doing a team rush upgrade and new MSD street fire ing, I dropped the tank replaced sending unit and new rubber gas lines and I never had the issue again.
tevans59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
bigHeadMarine
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

update... i had this issue today and for the first time since it started, i got out loosened the gas cap and put it back on... pumped the gas 5-10 times and it started right up!!!!! didn't sputter or anything! do you guys think that it just a vapor lock issue.. and my fuel pump is sucking air?
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
trader
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigHeadMarine View Post
update... i had this issue today and for the first time since it started, i got out loosened the gas cap and put it back on... pumped the gas 5-10 times and it started right up!!!!! didn't sputter or anything! do you guys think that it just a vapor lock issue.. and my fuel pump is sucking air?
sounds like that is the problem. with no vent, the pump can only suck so much, until the vacuum created in the tank overcomes the ability of the pump. i would rig up a return line. i think maybe your bad mpg may be caused partly by fuel being forced past the needle valve in the carb. making a flooding condition.
76 cj5, glass body, 360- dui, t150, locked 30 & 20 locked, one piece, 4:10
4 inch susp. lift 1 inch body, 33 swampers, disc front brake,
mile marker winch,on board air, agr steering, full roll cage.
trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevans59 View Post
After replacing holley 600, fuel filter, and doing a team rush upgrade and new MSD street fire ing, I dropped the tank replaced sending unit and new rubber gas lines and I never had the issue again.
That's some good advice right there.

FT

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

If your CJ is suffering from vapor lock, AND you don't have the time/resources to fix it right away, the quick poor man's fix is to put a couple of wooden clothes pins with the metal springs on the metal fuel lines in the engine compartment. I had a 1972 K5 Blazer and Suburban that vapor locked frequently...clothes pins fixed the issue, until I could redo the fuel system correctly.

BTW, how is your ignition setup without a module? Just curious, because if I could do away with mine, it'd be one less headache to worry about.

SFC Fred Lynes

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
bigHeadMarine
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
If your CJ is suffering from vapor lock, AND you don't have the time/resources to fix it right away, the quick poor man's fix is to put a couple of wooden clothes pins with the metal springs on the metal fuel lines in the engine compartment. I had a 1972 K5 Blazer and Suburban that vapor locked frequently...clothes pins fixed the issue, until I could redo the fuel system correctly.

BTW, how is your ignition setup without a module? Just curious, because if I could do away with mine, it'd be one less headache to worry about.

SFC Fred Lynes
Nutter bypass is the answer about the module.... as for the clothes pins i'm not sure how thats supposed to work.... seems like that would restrict the amount of fuel that can flow through there... just a thought???

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.