Randall's 1980 Cj5 build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Randall's 1980 Cj5 build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Just some finished pictures

Just rolled the jeep out of the garage washed it off and took some pics.

I installed a SunPro Super Tach II yesterday, there are three settings on the back 4,6,8 cylinder I initially set it to 4 cyl but the idle was about 1500 rpm, I moved the switch to 8 and it was a 750. Cruising around yesterday I was seeing 1500 to 1700 at about 55 mph. I'm expecting good gas mileage but won't know for sure til I get exhaust and O2 sensors installed and can drive it for a long stretch but will report back on mileage.

I carpeted the interior with a carpet set bought off ebay. It's not as perfect as I would have liked but it's not shabby. The transmission tunnel cover I bought from Novak as the shifters would not go through the stock setup. I still have to get a shift boot for the transmission.

Looking at front of engine bay. my fuel lines are held by clamps to the firewall and then transition to steel fuel line. I bought the fuel lines from Summit all the fittings and lines were about 100 bucks. Aluminum will work harden so they have to be smartly fastened to prevent flexing and cracking.
My electricals are all ziptied and or covered in cladding.

A picture of my electrical setup. The fan controller box is near the radiator, my ODBII connector then my four ckt fuse box and PCM. Brendan at Lt1Swap deserves credit for programming my pcm and for the help in wiring.

The fan is a FlexiLite dual fan setup. I got in a trade. It has a controller box mounted on driver side fender. I initially had it wired to the ignition ckt and that caused the engine to run after shutdown, so I rewired to battery direct. The fan sucks air through the radiator like my exwife,,,,wooooooo it works good.

The brake booster is off a 95 wrangler bought off ebay. The reservoir from a 95 wrangler too but bought new from autozone. I used a tilman racing 3/4 bore mini mc for the clutch with remote reservoir.

Passenger side view of air intake and stock radiator hose. This hose actually came from the donor vehicle and fit well enough. The radiator is a three core radiator I bought off ebay. I had to have a steamport bung welded to the side of it that's the hose laying on top of the catch can. The radiator cap is some cheap chinese thing and i'll be replacing that soon. So far the engine stay at 195 and yesterday it was 119 degrees outside.

Transmission mounting bracket. When I have more money I can have this turned into a full fledge skid plate.

The dash of course made by Justin of CashCustomCreations he doesn't "do Jeep" stuff so I'm not sure if anybody who likes his work could convince him to do anything. Plus he may be cost prohibitive. I paid for shop time which was 25 an hour, his labor and materials were free.

The ignition switch is from JoesRacing.com model 46100. Even though I removed the stock ignition switch the tumbler still locks and still requires the key to unlock. I plan on putting a battery disconnect switch in too.

Smittybilt center console I bought off Amazon.com. Finally a cup holder and a place to put something.

brownrxmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

So far I've driven almost 300 miles. I've had to replace the fuel tank filler hose after dumping a half tank of fuel out, the hose had been shaved off a litttle bit and was too short. After getting my exhaust installed this week, I've had to tidy up my O2 sensor wires. So far no leaks, though the dana300 has some oil on the mount, nothing is dripping. I've been driving in temps in excess of 115 degrees and no overheating, the temp gauges stays at around 200 F. I've driven it as fast as 70 mph, at 65 mph I'm turning over about 2000-2100 rpms. Just chugs along. I can pull out in just about any gear, if it's moving at all, fourth gear is even doable. I got a new windshield last week. Today I pulled a very heavy steel trailer with 680 lbs of junk on it to the dump and it's about 115 degrees outside. The jeep pulled it like a champ. Which is good to know since I'm leaving for Alaska in the jeep with the trailer in about 2 weeks. Just thought I'd give an update.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Glad to hear that she is running so well. Nice work. Looking forward to pictures from the trip to Alaska.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #49
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Thanks TitanJeep for the compliment. I hope to be heading out around the 18th. I'm dehydrating food right now. Kitchen looks like a UN Food Drop! Just 'bout have everything sold off. Did trailer wiring this morning. I'll post pics of that. CJ is easy to wire up for trailer lights, but might be a bit confusing if somebody is looking for a dedicated brake light wire, since it doesn't exist. My trailer is about 40 years old, tires on it are from 1976. Trailer is homemade, so I'm about to head out to buy some nuts and bolts to spruce that up some. Will post pics when I head out.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #50
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

1,000 mile update!

So far I've driven just over a thousand miles since completing, i use completing loosely, since when is a jeep ever completed? In the thousand miles my mileage has been about 20 mpg mixed highway and city driving, mostly city driving, so I expect 23 maybe 25mpg once I hit the open road. I've towed a 800 lb trailer with 700 lbs of trash to the dump twice with it, and it pulled like a champ. Also the temps here in the valley have been constantly around 115 degrees and the jeep has yet to overheat. I have been to autozone three times to put the obd scanner on it and they use a live scanner in Surprise which gives me not only the DTC's but the temp, O2 sensor readings etc. The engine temp hovers between 194 and 197. the thermostat is a 195. the O2 sensors cycle normally. Though I did have a P0154 code for an O2 sensor. i swapped the O2 sensors to see if the code would change to a P0134 but the codes went away. I think had a P0119 code low etc voltage. I jiggled the wires that went to the ECT sensor and that code went away. I backprobed the wires testing for voltage and had the 5v from pcm, so I bought a ECT just in case. In no way would i have known the codes were there as the engine was running fine. I've had some hesitation a couple of times or surging, very lightly, and I attribute that to the the fuel tank fuel pump setup. The fuel pump does not sit in a "bowl" in the tank. My fuel gauge never reads full and twice I've had to put over 13 gallons in the tank when I assumed the fuel gauge error which reads 3/4 full when filled to the cap would still have a 1/4 tank in it when it read empty. When the gauge reads empty it's empty and I can feel it in the throttle so about every 200 miles I put fuel in it. usually 9 to 10 gallons. My biggest headache and the most serious has been with the transmission mount. the bolts keep coming loose from the bottom of the rubber mount to my transmission mount cross member. I'm going to try to double nut it if that's possible this weekend. New windshield installed, new wiper blades installed two days ago. New brake pads, rotors, calipers, last week. I had very spongy brakes and finally found the culprit, the engine was sitting too close to the firewall and pinching the brake booster hose closed. I jacked up the transmission about a half inch put in a couple of spacers and now the brakes are much better. Still won't lock up the front wheels on pavement but stops ok. I replaced the headlights this past week. 2300 rpm is 65 mph, I've had it as high as 2800 rpm in fourth and was moving right along, not sure of the speed maybe 75 or so. I usually cruise at about 2000 rpm which is 60 mph. I traded my 4.10's for 3.07's so my odometer is off by about 25% to 30%. When I took my speedo apart to reset the odo I must have messed something up as the odometer works but the speedo needle is dead. I simply use the tach, it's not like i'm going to speed around though. I didn't build it to try and break it. I start my Alaska trip next weekend. 4,000 miles to Homer Ak, should be interesting.
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #51
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

T minus 8 days til I leave for Alaska. bought an 8 ft trailer today to tow behind me which should be fun. Still no radio for the jeep, maybe I'll learn to play music from my phone, but I hate to be 'deaf' to jeep noises. I replaced my ECT sender today, so far no hesitation. The biggest issue is still with my transmission mount but should have plenty of time to remedy that this week. My top should ship out tomorrow from Morris 4x4, they charged my card today. JCwhitney just wasted a week of my time. tomorrow I have to bust *** cleaning the house and moving the last of my stuff to either the dump or to donation. No furniture is left except for fish tank, a huge 100 gallon salt water and fresh water tank with stand and can't give the dang thing away. I'm only asking 100 bucks for it. Gas prices are on the way up and that's a drag for sure. Gas buddy says it'll cost about 800 bucks to get there, we'll see. I'm budgeting 1800 to get this trip going.
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #52
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Three more days til I head out to Alaska! Got my new BestTop Supertop in today. Got it installed in just over 4 hours! Trailer was stained with Thompson Water sealer today. Will start loading it tomorrow. Planning on about 600 lbs of stuff. Will have to get a trailer spare tire before I leave. Fixed transmission mount yesterday. All is tight, nearly 2000 miles on Jeep since conversion and I think the bugs are fixed. I occasionally get a high temp code P0117 I swapped the ect sender with a new one still get the code randomly. So gonna check some wires tomorrow, if not found not a big deal seems to run ok, just hesitates on some start ups so that's something to watch.
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #53
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Tomorrow is D-day!

One more day til I head out to Alaska! I've checked,,,,double checked,,,, and triple checked the jeep. Today it was almost 110 degrees in the shade. The trailer is almost packed. I'm estimating nearly 600 lbs plus the trailer. I bought a spare tire for the trailer yesterday.

Bought this trailer at Harbor Freight for about 250 bucks. Spent about 80 or so on some wood from Home Depot. I think it'll get most of my stuff to Alaska. Just gotta last about a week.

New top arrived Friday, just in time. Ordered from Morris 4x4. Thanks Morris for the fast shipping. I would have had the top a couple of weeks ago but jcWhitney let me down. got a notice two weeks after order saying out of stock.

Was almost 110 in the garage today!
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #54
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Have a safe trip! Looking forward to the updates.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #55
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

trailer loaded and ready to go,

trailer is loaded and ready to go. gonna take a nap and up and at em around midnight. Hope is to make Las Vegas before dawn and Wendover Nevada by sundown.

will keep updated on trip. Hope to make Canada by Thursday morning, and Alaska by Sunday night. Cruising straight up highway 93 through the great basin, avoiding as much interstate as possible. Hope to see some pretty country along the way.
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #56
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Cj5 to Homer Ak

I left Wittmann Az early Tuesday morning with a trailer hauling about 800 lbs of stuff. My plan was to drive straight north to the Canadian border in Montana then cross Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon. With my 5.3 and SM465 I was turning 2000 rpm at 60 mph. Even pulling the trailer and the jeep fully loaded I managed 20 mpg most of the trip, the lowest mileage I got was 18 and that was through Banff. I felt like an Apollo astronaut cramped in a capsule. It was nice to have a center console and a new Bestop soft top. The only problem I ran into was with the drivers side head. When I bought the engine I had a broken exhaust stud that I couldn't extract so I drilled a small hole next to the original bolt to tap in a new bolt. In doing so I must have drilled into a water jacket and the small drip I had for months turned into a large leak which soak the first two spark plugs. I ended up buying some steel putty and stop leak. I pulled the bolt out, wrapped the putty around the bolt reseated it, and poured some stop leak in the radiator. The leak went away a day later. The engine never overheated and I the spark plugs cleaned up. The jeep pulled almost 5,000 miles without a flaw other than the head problem I created. With heads costing about 100 bucks I should have replaced it and I will before next year.
The trip up the Alcan was very rough in some places and knowing that I was 2000 miles from my destination I had to drive carefully so I wouldn't tear up the trailer I was towing.

Unread 10-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #57
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

this past weekend was the first weekend that I've left the village since arriving in august. i keep the jeep locked up in storage in Homer. Friday night I flew to Homer caught a cab and the started right up no issues. i checked the oil and it looked like it had 7,000 miles of discoloration, and the coolant was discolored from all the stop leak i added a couple of months ago when I sprung a small leak. I drove the jeep 250 miles to Anchorage and loved most every minute of it. I'm getting older and so I don't see all that well at night, so I need to figure something out for LED lights in the next couple of months. Also I want to upgrade my seats. I want something easily installed and comfortable/durable. I've found a few seats, and it seems the front seats are gonna set me back 5 to 6 hundred dollars. I drove back to Homer this morning, stopped at wal-mart and bought 5w-20 oil a filter and three gallons of gm coolant, the orange stuff. I drained the old coolant today and replaced with new, and changed out the oil and filter. I won't start the jeep until January when i'm driving back to anchorage for my flight home for two weeks. The heater in the jeep is working great, though I wish the defroster worked a little better, and whenever i open the "air" cable, cold air blows in on the passenger side, I thought it would blow hot air but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully in january i can get my front axle rebuilt while I'm on my trip home, and then ferry my jeep to the village so I can use it for hunting. It's an ongoing project, one I miss working on.
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

That's quite an adventure you've taken on.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #59
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Thanks Matt!
I've had a few high end cars in my day, I never thought the most basic of vehicles would be my favorite vehicle of all time. I remember the eyes rolling when I decided to take the jeep apart and rebuild it with the Vortec engine. Then the laughs i got when somewhere in the middle of my rebuild I decided to drive the jeep to Alaska. Only a Jeeper, and I mean old school jeeper would understand this stuff. I have a buddy who has a new 4 door jeep and we kid each other all the time, however he has 50k in his jeep and it doesn't get dirty, i guess that's his thing and mine is mine and that's what it's about. I hope my build has helped somebody else looking at doing the same thing.
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #60
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

Well it's been a little over a month and not much has changed. I am still in the bush and the jeep is still safe and sound in storage. I want to upgrade the seats in the spring as mine are old and worn. I'd like to also upgrade the lighting maybe add some LED spotlights and a roof rack. In the past month I've bought an old Honda fourtrax to get around on, works nicely on the trails around here. In January I'm flying back to Phoenix and plan on leaving my jeep in Anchorage and having the front axle reshimmed and new bearings. When I traded axles this past summer I realized upon oil change that there is some play in the axle shafts and the carrier moves around a little. though I installed the front driveshaft I have yet to put it in four wheel drive for more than just putting around. So hopefully that'll get taken care of while I'm in the Az for a couple of weeks. My plan is to replace the tires on my little trailer this coming spring, load it down with some camping gear, maybe the atv and this coming summer I'll be off to the Arctic circle then the Yukon, maybe even drive back down to lower 48 for a few days before wrapping up my alaska adventure. I'll put some pics on here in the next day or so. Regards fellow Jeepers!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.