This morning I removed the old v6 from the jeep. It was pretty simple and took me about an hour and a half.
I removed everything connecting the engine to the frame or body of the jeep. Wires, speedo cable, clutch line, and driveshafts and shifters. I moved the hoist
up to the engine hooked the chains added some tension, then unbolted the motor mount bolts, and she slid right out like butter.
I moved the whole assembly, engine, tranny, and transfer case to my work bench, unbolted the transfer case on my bench and then moved the engine and tranny outside.
Here's the old powertrain. Hopefully I can trade it somebody with skills to build me a roof rack, it'd be a fair trade.
The transfer case is covered in dirt and grime so off to the pressure washer.
The bottom cover was on tight! It's never been off as the original sealant is still on there, holy **** was this on tight.
Once the cover was off I was so happy to see all my gears looking as good as new! woohooo!
I bought the Advance Adapter kit to mate this to the sm465, I went this route instead of Novak because I didn't want to tear my tranny apart
to install a new main shaft, with the AA kit I only need to change out the input shaft. So remove the hex head bolts and then the bearing cover.
Removing this cover was the biggest PITA I have ever seen. It's only held on with these little bolts, and some sticky *** sealant!
I beat and pounded and used a torch on it. I even hammered a razor blade between this cover and the xfer case body. Finally after about an hour or more of
doing this it started to seperate. I used a couple of progressively larger screwdrivers and a hammer to work it loose.
There is no need to remove rear yokes, or anything else to get the input shaft off. So here it sits until I can get a pair of snap ring pliers and the use of a press to
put the new input shaft on. A few more days and that'll be done.
Now I'm off to unbolt the tub from the frame.