Raindrops keep falling on my head! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Raindrops keep falling on my head!

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-06-2002, 03:11 PM   #1
MudLover

Raindrops keep falling on my head!

I bought my dream car this summer, my 1982 CJ7. I've wanted one since I saw my first episodes of the A-Team and the Dukes of Hazzard. Here's the problem I found: even with the hardtop on, the rain won't stay out. I got in it yesterday in the school parking lot (it had been raining about 5 hours by that time) and my front floor boards were puddles. I noticed water dripping from behind the dash pad but I took that apart when I got home and it was dry. I also saw water dripping behing the speakers. Does anyone know how stop this?!?! I love that car to death but I kinda wanna stay dry while I do it. I replaced the weather stripping on the doors and that didn't help either, hopefuly you can.
Thanks,
Marc

MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Windshield frame cowl seal is a good place to start. 90% of the time water is behind the dash, its from this.

Also check the windsheild it's self, ie, is it leaking in from the where the glass is sealed to the frame.

Lasty, the vent on the cowl has some water and coll air plumbing, make sure all is OK with that stuff too.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #3
kyle92xj47cj

i agree ..the A-team and dukes of hazard were the shows that had the old jeeps on ...but i still cant believe they tortured a very fine mud machine and trail rig ....in the process of the shows ... in the a-team i mean ..

not daisy wrecking one

'47 cj-2a ...soon a d44 rear.. a d25 front... 5.38s and soon also will be painted navy blue..maybe just spray painted for now
kyle92xj47cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #4
iralplvr

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle92xj47cj
i agree ..the A-team and dukes of hazard were the shows that had the old jeeps on ...but i still cant believe they tortured a very fine mud machine and trail rig ....in the process of the shows ... in the a-team i mean ..

not daisy wrecking one

Whats wrong Kyle got kicked out of one CJ forum so you came over here?
Did you tell these guys their losers for owning CJ's or are you trying to change your ways?
Unread 11-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #5
TG CJ7

You may want to look at your air vent. I'm talking abut that grill on top of the cowl of your jeep. Its plasic and is easy to break (trust me) when trying to remove it. If the previous owner broke it, water would leak in from behind your dash. I fixed my brother's(which I broke) by using RTV sealer. It seems to work.
Also, he needs the weather stripping for his doors, would you be interested in selling them. If you threw them away at least tell me where you got new ones.
Thanks, Good Luck
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2002, 07:41 PM   #6
MudLover

When I took the old strips off, they ripped to shreds. I got the new ones through www.wilsons4x4.com They have a lot of stuff for just about any year of Jeeps and are really fast. I'd recomend them to anyone wanting parts for their Jeep. The peice by the cowl you were talking about... is that the one outside between the hood an the windshield? Some of the bars on that are cracked. I hope that's the peice you're talking about. Let me know.
Marc
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
TG CJ7

Yeah thats what I'm talking about, but those cracked bars wouldnt cause it to leak. Look down inside there. That vent is where your defrost and heating system gets fresh air. That box is plasic, it is really a catch basin. There is a hole in it on the passengers side toward the front of the jeep. That is where I broke it (very hard to pull out). That hole is a drain that leads down inside your engine compartment so water can drain out of the vent.
What you need to do is take the vent cover off, and look down in there with a flashlight. Inspect it very carfully. If there are any cracks seal them with silicone. If I were you I would seal the seams inside the vent also.
Good Luck
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
duitinmud

All good answers,I'd check all those places being it's from the 80's and probably never checked or changed. Hey, rain...mud...you must love this stuff.Anyway I liked "The Rat Patrol", dating myself, but far better then "the a team".I could never figure why those guys shot all those rounds and never hit anyone or 'thing. Hollywood.
duitinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.