Rain - Vent - Water In FloorBoard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rain - Vent - Water In FloorBoard

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
70worm
1977 CJ5 

Rain - Vent - Water In FloorBoard

So I took the jeep out of the garage last week and parked it in the driveway. It rained for 2 days strait. I go out to move it and I got an inch or more of water in each floorboard! I look everywhere else but no water. I thought maybe it's coming from the vent up by the hood. So I stick my hand in the defroster hole and it's wet. Does this mean the vent is stuck open? Is the vent one of those deals where if it rain don't open it or should water not leak down through the duct work even if it is open? See I have another Jeep but the vent was blowing cold air on my feet when I got it 9 years ago so my friend closed it and taped it shut. an education on how that vent operates would be greatly appreciated.

70worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Common sources for leaks behind the dash are:

1. The seal and screw holes around the cowl vent.
2. The cowl seal, especially near the windshield frame hinges.
3. The windshield seal.

It can be a nightmare to seal up all the leaks, but it can be done, if you are persistent.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Oops, it's a 77, I posted a long list of stuff but then realized it's a 77
does it have the blower motor on the inside?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Doesn't it have a paper duct work connecting the intake to the heater Box?

Do those have a drain? can it be plugged up with spiders nest or acorns?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

my old 1984 leaks after heater core fix and new seal gasket on the windshield

I just keep it in the barn during rainy weather, maybe not the best fix, but its worked so far,

I hardly ever put the hard top on it anyway, so if its getting wet, then I am getting wet.

not much of a fix, but its worked for many years.

guess that is why they installed so many drain holes in the floor, plus mine has a number of added rust holes,
but it still runs good.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
70worm
1977 CJ5 

I replaced the duct and cleaned the heater box. It's got something that looks like a drain hose that goes through the firewall.
Unread 12-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Check what Matt posted and also check the fit of your doors...I put weatherstripping between to stop the floor from filling up
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Cowl seal. I plugged everything six ways from sunday,and it took a new cowl seal to achieve a weather proof cab.
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Yes that is a drain-hose coming through the fire wall about one and 1/2 inches it is self closing which allows water out but not in. Great place for muddobbers bees and other vermin to build nests.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
70worm
1977 CJ5 

My drain hose is flat in the 90degree bend that goes around the heater box and out the firewall causing it to back up. I assume this happened because of 35 years of heat. Midwest Jeep Willys have them new. 77's are an oddball transition year so if I can be of help to anyone who needs feel free to PM me.
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

One thing people forget about is that the grille over the intake on the cowling is supposed to have a gasket.
You can't get them anymore but if you look at parts diagrams it's there.
I had tried everything else, including new seals for the windshield frame, etc. and even taped off everything to go through process of elimination.
I reached the point where the only thing left was the screw holes for the grille.
So, I got some cork gasket material and made one for the intake grille.
Amazingly, no more water collecting in the floor.
Probably wouldn't hurt to spend a couple bucks and twenty minutes with an exacto knife; it might fix your leak.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
70worm
1977 CJ5 

I got some cork/rubber today.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
70worm
1977 CJ5 

I completely covered the vent and still wet. so I ordered a windshield gasket and the seal that goes under the windshield frame, but I think it might be leaking from a body seem under the windshield frame.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

You do need to go through the process of elimination. I have a white Jeep, so I went out and bought a big roll of white vinyl tape, similar to electrical tape.
Then I taped off everything that could possibly leak: the joint between the hard top and the windshield frame, the whole length of the windshield frame, the hinges for same, the weld where the base of the windshield meets the cowling and the one where the cowling meets the hood panel. And I taped around and over the cowling vent. Everytime it rained, I un-taped one section and looked for water in the cab. When I got to the cowling, Bingo! Water dripping in around the cabin vent. So I checked the drain tube to make sure it was clear, and made a gasket for the grille.
I noticed that the opening in the cowling has a down-turn that fits inside the lip of the air box, so rain can't get in that way. Other than a blocked drain tube causing overflow into the cabin vent, the only other way for water to get in is through the screw holes. Fitting a gasket blocked off that pathway, and my cab is now dry.

You may discover your leak is elsewhere, but my advice is to bite the bullet and take the time to diagnose this in a systematic way.
Otherwise you may wind up spending a lot of time and money without result.

BTW - if you look on a Jeep parts diagram, it will show a gasket and a part number - but you can't buy one.

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
One thing people forget about is that the grille over the intake on the cowling is supposed to have a gasket.
This intake is actually the "pool fill-port" and the proper place to connect a garden hose, fire hose, or other source of water to turn your Jeep into a pool. Jeeps came with drain plugs so you could carry large amounts of water in them. This is why they call the body a "tub."

Just some history for y'all.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.