Radio Options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Radio Options?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
rosco3059
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 41
Radio Options?

Allright, after a long winter here in MN, I am nearing the end of restoration and need some stereo advice. The Original CJ dash has the cut out but no radio. I am considering a deletion plate or a replacement. If I go deletion plate, I would like to find some speakers which I can hook directly up to my phone or IPod. Has anybody heard or uses such a thing? Or has anybody found the OE radio at a reasonable price?

81 CJ7

rosco3059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 9,899
RetroSound makes a vintage looking stereo, with all the modern features, that will fit in the factory-sized cut-out.

Good luck,

Matt
radio6.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
aggiejon
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco3059
Allright, after a long winter here in MN, I am nearing the end of restoration and need some stereo advice. The Original CJ dash has the cut out but no radio. I am considering a deletion plate or a replacement. If I go deletion plate, I would like to find some speakers which I can hook directly up to my phone or IPod. Has anybody heard or uses such a thing? Or has anybody found the OE radio at a reasonable price?

81 CJ7
Get an amp, a RCA to 3.5mm patch cable, and hook up the amp and plug in your MP3 player. There are cables you can get to plug in that are Aux jack sockets that mount in a ~1/4" hole on the dash and then plug in a male x male cable for a clean supposed to be there look. Or just snake the patch cable from under the dash to the glove box and roll up the cable for the stealth "I ain't got no radio to steal" look.

You can control the volume with your device. Just set the amp volume at a level that provides you the output range you need.

That's how I did mine in the cj. Did this in another vehicle and helped a buddy build a waterproof sound cube to take to the river tubing.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
rosco3059
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
RetroSound makes a vintage looking stereo, with all the modern features, that will fit in the factory-sized cut-out.

Good luck,

Matt
I saw these and really like them but 200-300 is a bit pricey for a radio and MP3 hook-up! Thanks for the suggestion Matt!
rosco3059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
rosco3059
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon

Get an amp, a RCA to 3.5mm patch cable, and hook up the amp and plug in your MP3 player. There are cables you can get to plug in that are Aux jack sockets that mount in a ~1/4" hole on the dash and then plug in a male x male cable for a clean supposed to be there look. Or just snake the patch cable from under the dash to the glove box and roll up the cable for the stealth "I ain't got no radio to steal" look.

You can control the volume with your device. Just set the amp volume at a level that provides you the output range you need.

That's how I did mine in the cj. Did this in another vehicle and helped a buddy build a waterproof sound cube to take to the river tubing.
This is perfect Aggiejon! I will be getting started on it this week! Thank you very much!
rosco3059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Colt44
Member
 
Colt44's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, TN, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 475
I just bought the Alpine head unit and then marked the outline of the mounting sleeve onto the dash, then cut it out with a hacksaw.
Sleeve went in, head unit went in, trim ring went on, and that was it. The only real issue is the depth, because the defroster vent takes up a lot of room right behind the head unit.
This was an issue for me because I needed to run cables to my amps and it's a real tight fit because the RCA plugs take up about another inch or so.
If you're just running the built-in amp it wouldn't be a problem.
But just in case, you should measure your depth and get a unit that leaves enough room for whatever you set-up is going to be.

Also, if you're thinking XM, HD Radio or something that needs a black box or two, there's a convenient little space right behind (actually, forward of) the glovebox where that stuff can go, and the air duct makes a convenient shelf.
I laid a piece of foam rubber on it to dampen vibration, and my XM tuner sits right there with plenty of room left over.
__________________
1983-91-94 CJ-7 Daily Driver
258 w/4.0 Head Conversion & MPFI
YJ OME Spring Conversion
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
stamp32
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44
I just bought the Alpine head unit and then marked the outline of the mounting sleeve onto the dash, then cut it out with a hacksaw.

.
All I heard when I read this is that freaking Sarah McClachlan (sic) song about the abused SPCA dogs. Definitely to each his own but cutting an original dash makes me have a single tear fall.

Chris
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Colt44
Member
 
Colt44's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, TN, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 475
Well, my original dash wasn't in what you'd call museum quality, so I shed no tears.
I had to refinish it and do some patching, so enlarging the stereo cut-out wasn't even a factor.

But if the thought of defacing an original piece gets you all misty-eyed, I'm pretty sure an aftermarket item can be acquired.
__________________
1983-91-94 CJ-7 Daily Driver
258 w/4.0 Head Conversion & MPFI
YJ OME Spring Conversion
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
rosco3059
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32

All I heard when I read this is that freaking Sarah McClachlan (sic) song about the abused SPCA dogs. Definitely to each his own but cutting an original dash makes me have a single tear fall.

Chris
I am with you stamp. I think I would rather put a deletion plate and use an iPod, amp, and speaker upgrade instead of chopping a dash up...
rosco3059 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.