Radio for a 1979 jeep cj7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
rhoj
1979 CJ7 

Radio for a 1979 jeep cj7

The cut out space available for a radio is VERY limted especially front to back due to the heater/vent/air ducts the dash opening seems to be a standard size left to right and top to bottom .

I am a tad bit away from my jeep but I think the most front to back room available is 5 inches???

Any recommemdations would be appreceiated.

TX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 AM
jwhite_00

There are a couple of vendors that offer stock-appearing radios that have modern bluetooth and usb built into them.
Retro-sound and Vintage Vibes come to mind.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

I've been very happy with Retro-sound.
The cool thing is their radio comes apart and you can set the small main part of the radio at an angle to the head unit.

I call it a distributor, not a dizzy.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Do you want a stock appearing unit or do you want an inexpensive half-size DIN unit that will fit behind the dash? If the latter Google "half-size DIN depth." I found one at Walmart for around $20. https://www.walmart.com/ip/XO-Vision...438#about-item

I only use it when the Jeep is parked or while driving slowly. There is too much exterior noise and exhaust rumble to hear in mine.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 PM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Do you want a stock appearing unit or do you want an inexpensive half-size DIN unit that will fit behind the dash? If the latter Google "half-size DIN depth." I found one at Walmart for around $20. https://www.walmart.com/ip/XO-Vision...438#about-item

I only use it when the Jeep is parked or while driving slowly. There is too much exterior noise and exhaust rumble to hear in mine.
A DIN cut out is 7" x 2" on the front of the panel but there is no stock depth.

If you have any doubts, you need to measure the depth and allowing a little for the wiring at the back you can look up the physical stereo dimensions.

I agree with bob, I find it very hard to hear clearly in a CJ. I used to buy $10 secondhand units as thy also get trashed with water ingress.

I now use the Ultimate Ears Boom 2 wireless speakers after a tip on here. There are cheaper ones, but they can all be controlled by Bluetooth from your phone, get two cheapies and you have great stereo that does not need a head unit and are waterproof. You can then link them to Spotify and a world of music etc. As the UE Boom is portable and waterproof, I can use it in any Jeep and at the beach etc.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:44 PM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

I've had Vintage Vibe for about a year now and love it.

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.