Radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Radio

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
dj5day
1973 DJ 

Radio

I'm needing to find some help in installing an aftermarket radio in my DJ. Obviously there is no radio currently so I need the wiring help! Thanks!

dj5day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

For the basic wiring I prefer to run dedicated ground and fused power to the battery (red and black). It acts as a filter and will remove a lot of alternator and other interference. You can then use a light or multimeter to find the switched power for your (usually yellow) wire. Then just look at your radio wiring for which speaker wire go where. Just as a note, the negative terminals on most speakers is much thinner. Most auto parts stores or radio shack has the smaller audio terminals. If you try to use the big ones they almost always work loose.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I'm not 100% certain, but reasonably confident that you won't find a fuse block on your Jeep. What fuses you have are most likely inline.

Going with that, you'll most likely want to find a "switched" hot lead and splice on to it for your power. You can ground to the body, just be sure you get a good contact.

Here's a link to a 1974 CJ5 wiring diagram:http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Jeep-...74-1975-CJ.htm

EDIT That diagram DOES show a fuse block. You maybe able to tap your power from there, maybe even a provision for a radio!

My GUESS is that a CJ and a DJ shared wiring looms. Good luck!
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Jawbox

It would help if you can take a picture of the Fuse Block. That would help us figure out if you can tap in there.
Jawbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.