Radiator reccomendations for the 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Radiator reccomendations for the 258

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Radiator reccomendations for the 258

I am planning to replace my radiator because my current one is leaky. I have an '85 with the 258 in it. I've never installed a radiator before.

I know I want a brass radiator, probably a 2 row. What confuses me is the various dimensions: All radiators I can find for my Jeep seem to vary slightly in their listed sizes. How can I be sure that a given radiator will fit?

Right now this is my first choice:

Murray® Heat Transfer - Radiator - part 433063

It's $230 and I can get it locally at O'Reilly Auto Parts. According to their website, it has a "limited lifetime warranty" which sounds appealing. The part number also looks up as a "Vista Pro" brand over at Rockauto and a Spectrum CU583 at other places. So I don't know if it's the same part or not, or if it even matters.

If anyone can recommend a brass 3 row for under $300 that will fit correctly, I would consider that if would likely provide better cooling than a 2 row.

Anyhow, my main concern is how do I know this thing's going to fit? Or should I expect to have to make some adjustments when installing it?

Thanks!

Unread 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

After a bit more searching, I found this at Summit Racing for $241.99:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-433583/

It's Vista-Pro # 433583, 3 row, brass. It has a 1 year warranty but ships free and would also be tax-free which is nice.

Outlet Size: 1 1/2 in.
Core Height (in): 15.625 in.
Core Thickness (in): 2.000 in.
Core Width (in): 24.250 in.

The one in my first post has these size specs:

Core Width (In): 24-3/8 Inch
Core Height (In): 16-7/8 Inch
Core Thickness (In): 1-1/4 Inch

So the dimensions are all different which is my main concern. How do I know either one will fit correctly? Will a .75" extra thickness mean the thing is more likely to hit the fan?
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The radiator fits into a hole in the body and for a 258 the critical factors are that the flange be level with the back face of the radiator to give clearance to the fan blades and the holes in the flange match up to the holes in the body and radiator cowl (if you have one). Obviously the inlet and outlet need to be in the same position as before but the radiator cap, and hence the connection to the overflow bottle, can vary so be prepared to buy a new length of small diameter hose, a few bucks.

If you are in any doubt measure the spacing of the mounting holes on your old radiator. The other measurements for core size etc will vary between radiators.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

You may remember my post a while back when I was searching for a radiator. I bought into that aluminum 3 row BS and it was a nightmare - nothing fit, the eBay seller suggested I mod my grill, the cap was in the wrong place and the outlet hose pointed the wrong direction. I somehow crammed it in, and my fan tore it a new outlet. I wound up getting a two row brass radiator from radiator.com, it fits PERFECTLY. I have an 8274 on the front, no fan cowl, and a 195* thermostat and it's been in the high 90s here all summer, and she barely gets a tick above "C."

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably listen to some of the older and wiser members here and get the original one cored.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

There are two main versions, HD with a shroud (offset cap) and the Center cap/ no shroud.
They are cored at different depths depending on your fan and spacer OR your fan and clutch.
Top two HERE:
https://www.radiatorexpress.com/Prod...=CJ7&year=1985

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm thinking getting your original repaired. My experience is that it costs less and it comes back to you painted, looking fresh and new. It has always been worthwhile for me.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.