Radiator Question for CJ5 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
cj5chic

Radiator Question for CJ5

Looks like a new radiator is needed. I have a leak somewhere and its starting to look like its not a hose but the radiator itself. I think this is the original one from 1980. Fins are pretty much squished up so replacing it is probably a good idea anyway.
So my question is:
- Is there anything I need to know on what type radiator to get?
- Is this going to be too difficult for me to do myself?
- What steps are involved?

Thanks for any help you awesome Jeep guys can give!

1980 CJ5
T176
Manual transmission
Pretty much stock with nothing fancy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 12:17 PM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

I did this myself recently. It was not hard , you should be able to do it.

I had a chronic issue, so I did the water pump, t-stats and flushed the system at the same time. The result was great.

the one I bought was like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Cool.../dp/B0092QWZPG

The holes were not perfect, so I had to drill out the radiator bracket a small bit.
post #3 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 01:37 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Summit Racing is once again selling the brass/copper OEM type radiators. I bought one 4 years ago and have had zero problems with it. Nice price too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...jeep/model/cj5

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #4 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I run the Champion aluminum, as well.

As far as procedure:

1. Drain the old one by loosening the drain-cock on the bottom.
2. Disconnect the top and bottom hoses at the radiator. Expect some residual coolant to leak out of the hoses when you pull them off.
3. Disconnect the overflow hose, if equipped.
4. Remove the four bolts holding radiator to grill, and remove radiator.
5. Install new radiator, connect hoses, and re-fill radiator with coolant.
6. Burb the system to remove all air, then top off the coolant.

It'll be a little messy, but it's not difficult.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 PM
79AMCJeepCJ5
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5chic View Post
Looks like a new radiator is needed. I have a leak somewhere and its starting to look like its not a hose but the radiator itself. I think this is the original one from 1980. Fins are pretty much squished up so replacing it is probably a good idea anyway.
So my question is:
- Is there anything I need to know on what type radiator to get?
- Is this going to be too difficult for me to do myself?
- What steps are involved?

Thanks for any help you awesome Jeep guys can give!

1980 CJ5
T176
Manual transmission
Pretty much stock with nothing fancy
Yeah, it's pretty easy actually (I have a 79), you might want to replace the upper and lower hose too, and cap.

- 'officially' you'd have to loosen the drain cock, but probably pretty crudded up, so you might as well get a good size bucket and take the bottom hose off. (the hoses usually stick on there pretty good, use a thin longer screwdriver to work them loose if you replace the hoses, taking them off the engine side is easier.

- the radiator and shroud are held on by 4 bolts, that go through some sort of clip. if you take those out, you can hang the shroud over the fan, makes it easier. At that point you can pull the radiator out (easier with the two hoses removed.)

- new radiator in, shroud back, bolts in. The hoses go on easier with a squirt of WD40 on the ends.
- fill radiator up with coolant, run the engine, with the cap off and when the thermostat opens you'll see the coolant level go down in the radiator, keep filling until the radiator is full to the top. (don't forget to have some in the overflow canister too.

- voila, happy Jeepin.

PS: oh and standard they come with a 3 row radiator, upgrading with a 4 row (just a few $$$ more) gives you better cooling, which helps at low speeds and higher altitudes.
post #6 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Brianscj5

Garage
X3 ^^^^
I just installed a Champion radiator #Mc583 (4 Row), thanks to Matt's build (he really knows his stuff). They are a great company to deal with!
post #7 of 89 Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Brianscj5

Garage
And I know everyone likes photo's

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 89 Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
cj5chic

Once again I would like to thank all you guys for your help and instruction! Its really, really appreciated!
Went to AutoZone, they want $189 for a Radiator. Its aluminum with plastic side pieces.
Summit racing has a brass/copper one for $269. And Amazon has one that's aluminum for around $155. These things aren't cheap.
Read somewhere that if they use Magnesium Chloride in your area in the wintertime for the roads that it will eat up anything aluminum. Is that right?
post #9 of 89 Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 AM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

I went with an aluminum radiator from Engineered Cooling Products. It dropped right in but unlike the Champion radiator the nipple for the overflow tube is correctly pointed to the driver's side.
post #10 of 89 Old 08-03-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
cj5chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
I went with an aluminum radiator from Engineered Cooling Products. It dropped right in but unlike the Champion radiator the nipple for the overflow tube is correctly pointed to the driver's side.
Thanks Orange, I'll check them out!
My Jeeps overflow is just a tube coming off the radiator top that's just drops down. No overflow tank or anything like that. If radiator fluid comes out the tube it simply goes onto the ground. Weird!
post #11 of 89 Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 AM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

Only picture I have of the radiator. Mine also does not have an overflow bottle. It is not so weird. That's how it was done back then. It will burp out the extra after a couple heating/cooling cycles and then be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0295.jpg  
post #12 of 89 Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
cj5chic

^^^
Nice clean looking engine bay! I'm jealous!!
post #13 of 89 Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I thought I read someplace that if you do not have a recovery tank you need to run a different type of radiator cap.

post #14 of 89 Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
cj5chic

My 80 CJ5 did not have a reservoir tank and it has not been an issue. However, this is what I've learned over the many years owning this Jeep:
If I fill the radiator to the top while its cold, once reaching operating temperature the fluid will run from the hose.
I always keep the fluid a couple inches from the top even though it may look low to someone else.
By doing the above mentioned, I've never had any fluid run out onto the garage floor. But there is plenty of oil on the floor!

e3of6bz_d.jpg
One guys answer to no factory installed fluid reservoir.
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this!
post #15 of 89 Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

New picture for you

Name:  image-538177375.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  544.1 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.