radiator question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > radiator question

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-21-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
jeepster18_88

radiator question

I need a new radiator for my '85 CJ7. It has a 258 with a 2 row radiator. What is the difference in mine and the 3 row? What are the reasons that they can't interchange?

Will it not bolt to my grill?

Are the inlet and outlet holes different?

Is the 3 row to thick?

What would I have to do to make the 3 row work?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Unread 05-22-2003, 02:35 AM   #2
blackdog
1985 CJ7 

Josh,

I just went through this. I went from a
two core to a three core. The three
core will fit no problem. I also have
an 85 and the problem is that
the 85 model came with two different
radiators that mount differently.
When you call to order your new
radiator they will ask you which
side the fill cap is on. If your fill cap
is on the driver's side, you have the
odd man out radiator like I did. If this
is the case, you will unfortunately
have to pay a little more for the
radiator simply becuase they don't
make or sell as many as the normal
CJ radiator. If you are trying to find
an old one or buy a used one, make sure
the filler cap is on the same side as
your current radiator or you may run
into mounting issues.

good luck, my new 3 core works great@!

Mike

85 CJ-7, 258 MPI
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
jeepster18_88

Thanks. Where did you get yours from? Everyone that I talked to at radiator shops or catalog sales has said that the 3 row wouldn't work? The only differences that I could find were the dimensions and cap location. They both use the same hoses so they must have the inlets and outlets in the same place. As far as I could find, Jeep only used one core support, so they must have the same mounts. Also every core support that I've seen has indentions both in the middle and on the drivers side for the radiator cap. One other difference is that they use different fan shrouds, which could cause it to not cool. If getting the right fan shroud is the only problem, then why doesn't anyone just tell you that in order to use the 3 row then you must also get the shroud for it. Oh, where did you find a 3 row with the cap on the driver's side. No one that I've talked to has one. They say that the cap is in the middle on theirs. Again, Thanks!
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Jwhit

My jeep runs with a three core radiator. I converted mine from the old two core. There isnt anything to worry about with changing it. I dont think they would have made the three core for the cj if it wouldnt work that doesnt make much sence for the manufactures. Besides doesnt the thermostat regulate the temp in the radiator??
'85 CJ7 Rebuilt 258/T5/Dana 300 Mopar MPI fuel Injuection kit - 35" Pro Comp X-Terrains,one piece rear axle, 4.56 gears, Tracloc rear, Detroit Nospin front, 2" Full-Traction Shackle Reversal, 1" body lift, 2.5" Sky Jacker lift

'05 Jeep "Willys" ~stock... daily driver
Jwhit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2003, 10:57 PM   #5
blackdog
1985 CJ7 

I got my 3 core with the fill cap on the drivers side from www.radiatorexpress.com. I was told
that the mounts are actually different
for the drivers side filler cap. These guys
have both. Mine had the drivers side
filler cap and I bought the drivers side
filler cap model and it fit in fine. Other
than the mounting, the drivers side filler cap model is 1" taller than the center filler cap model. One more inch of water can only help!.

Mike

85 CJ-7, 258 MPI
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.