Radiator Hose Pierced by Steering Arm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Radiator Hose Pierced by Steering Arm?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Radiator Hose Pierced by Steering Arm?

Quick background:

I've been slowly resto/modding my 79. I finally got around to body work and paint. Here's the old and new color.

Old

New

Took her for a test drive today and I when I returned home, hot water was spraying out under the jeep. Apparently the steering arm clamp had poked a hole in the lower radiator hose. Also noticed that these two pieces are so close they're touching.

I know they shouldn't be this close, but (1) I'm not sure how they got that way, and (2) I don't know what to do to put some distance between the two. I tried raising the radiator and it ain't budging.

I also took a picture of the steering box brace on the other side.

Any thoughts on a remedy? BTW, there was a 4-in lift on the jeep when I bought it. I lowered it to 2.5, but haven't changed out the drop Pitman arm yet. Could that be related the to problem?

Lastly, my steering box is leaking. Is it possible to rebuild it? Or is it easier just to replace it?

adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Remove the rad and re-drill the mounting holes 1/2-5/8" below what you have now.
Also check the body mount under the grill to see if it's still there.
Lucas power steering stop leaks works well. It takes about 200 miles.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

In addition to what LG said, I had a similar issue when I bought my cj. The PO had put radiator hoses on that was too long(Just because it is the hose for the CJ7 doesn't necessarily mean its a perfect fit). This caused the hose to bulge down and rub on the steering shaft. I caught this during one of my vehicle checks, order a new hose, and cut it to a proper length and have not had the problem since.

You could also look into a flex radiator hose, it might allow you some flexibility in routing it to the water pump...

One more thing I noticed-My radiator outlet was angle up at 45 degrees. It appears that yours might not be...

Also, a drop pitman are will not change this condition in any way, the lift, should not have affected this condition. Most lifts maintain the relationship between the steering shaft at the frame(the steering detriment from lifts comes from messed up geometry between the box and tierods, axle rotation etc.), the exception is a body lift, but that should move the steering box further away, not closer. Now if the Jeep had a body lift on it, and was rebuilt with the BL on, and you took the body lift out, you might could have some issues if the PO lowered the radiator from its original location...but I'd say that's a reach...
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
adman02
1979 CJ7 

As part of the resto/mod I replaced the grill from a donor CJ. I guess the mounting holes are lower on the new-to-me one? I would have expected some sort of consistency in manufacturing...oh wait, this is AMC. Ha!
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I had the same problem when I removed my body lift. The steering felt "notchy" to me. Found that it was rubbing right where your was.
I just put a thick 1/2" washer under the grill mount to shim it up a hair.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Remove the rad and re-drill the mounting holes 1/2-5/8" below what you have now.
Also check the body mount under the grill to see if it's still there.
Lucas power steering stop leaks works well. It takes about 200 miles.
LG
Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Also, I did have to trim the lower hose considerably, but now the steering is free and clear.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.