Radiator for 4.2L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Radiator for 4.2L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
DuraDan

Radiator for 4.2L

Got a 1986 CJ7..... Putting all new coolant system, water pump, hoses, thermostat and wanted to replace radiator while there, but after doing a quick parts search online, aluminum radiators are $500+... This jeep is a hunting rig that idles around a lot and I want it to stay cool.... Any suggestions on a good radiator that doesn't break the bank? Thank you

DuraDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

eBay has one for $175.00(shipped)that is a 2 row with 1" thick rows. American Eagle brand. Not sure what the difference would be on this vs. a Northern/Be cool/Griffin that are 2-3 times more expensive.

Champion makes an aluminum radiator in a 2 or 3 row that you can get on eBay as well. I've heard good things on the 3 row here.

Besides the radiator, the fan and shroud(electric fans)play a crucial role into how well that radiator will perform.
offroadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You haven't filled out your profile so we have no idea of how your Jeep is configured. Can't really price out a radiator or give sound advice that way. We also have no idea where you are. Answers may vary from region to region.

I have a 258 and it runs all day without a shroud and electric fans in Arizona without budging past 200°. A V8 might be different.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Pre-1980 Ford Trucks have similar radiator.
You would have to visit a radiator shop with it and have them solder your ends to the core since CJ sits into the core support and the Ford sits out from the support....
Just take a tape and find one that fits the width of yours.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Just wanted to add to this thread since I am going through a radiator replacement this past week. The American Eagle radiators are cheap Chinese crap, I am very dissatisfied. The fit was difficult at best, and left little to no clearance against the fan. I measured everything ahead of time and it was all inline with their listed measurements, and I had about an inch of clearance from the fan with my old radiator. I figured the 2-row, 1" thick rows would be a simple replacement. Not so. And when I started the engine, the radiator sprung a leak and I ended up with antifreeze all over the garage floor...again.

Avoid this brand at all costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadz View Post
eBay has one for $175.00(shipped)that is a 2 row with 1" thick rows. American Eagle brand. Not sure what the difference would be on this vs. a Northern/Be cool/Griffin that are 2-3 times more expensive.

Champion makes an aluminum radiator in a 2 or 3 row that you can get on eBay as well. I've heard good things on the 3 row here.

Besides the radiator, the fan and shroud(electric fans)play a crucial role into how well that radiator will perform.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Just wanted to add to this thread since I am going through a radiator replacement this past week. The American Eagle radiators are cheap Chinese crap, I am very dissatisfied.
Avoid this brand at all costs.
I agree.
After doing more research. I bought a Griffin instead because of fearing of that issue. For $230 more, Griffin seemed logical and why skimp on this portion of the Jeep anyway...
offroadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Did some work on the cooling system over the past few weeks and just wanted to relay my experiences.

The issue started over the winter, when I'd notice that as my engine was warming up it would surge into the upper range of the temperature gauge. It kept it up through the spring, and there seemed to be a relationship between higher speeds and higher temperatures, enough that I'd have to worry for a few minutes if I'd eventually creep into overheating range.

The radiator was in OK shape, but there was a small leak at the cap...enough to drain the reservoir over the course of 6 months or so. I decided to replace the radiator and while I was at it, change the thermostat as I had no idea how old it was, either. I painted the thermostat housing while I was at it, because I had some extra engine enamel and thought I could make some use of it.

Based on some info on this forum and others, I purchased an aluminum radiator off of eBay - made by Champion/American Eagle: Champion 2-row radiator on eBay ($175 or so). I had about an inch of clearance between my fan and the previous radiator, so thought the added depth (2" vs. 1 3/8" or whatever stock is) of the replacement wouldn't be an issue, and I could get more cooling.

Got the radiator and began the install. It was a very difficult fit for a couple of reasons - the width of the replacement was about 1/2"-1" short, and it was a stretch to get it to mount to the grill. Also, the depth of the radiator was way off - it just about butted up to my fan, but I thought I'd have enough clearance for the fan to rotate freely. The last minor thing was that the drain hose came off a central cap and pointed to the passenger side, as opposed to the cap being offset to the driver side with the drain hose easily reaching the reservoir. Managed to get it fired up and sure enough - no way the fan had enough clearance and it was a mess. Coolant everywhere, smoking belts, and a busted radiator.

The eBay company I bought the radiator from has so far been very accommodating, other than making me pay for return shipping. Of course, we'll see how well they honor the warranty and if I get a refund. He gave me quite a lecture on how good his radiators are, aluminum surpasses copper in cooling (BS, but I let it slide), and he recommends people drill new holes for the replacements, etc, but he assured me I'd get a refund.

I ended up getting a radiator that more closely matched OEM from radiator.com, based on a thread over on JeepForum. The radiator took a day to get here, cost me about $325, and was a perfect fit - no struggles, no clearance issues, and it's doing a great job cooling. I'm hovering at about 1/4 on the temp scale at interstate speeds now. So far I'm very happy with it, for the price it was worth it to have a well fitting radiator that does the job right. And it also has a lifetime warranty. I would totally recommend radiator.com to anyone over an aluminum radiator off of eBay.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.