R&R 20 gal plastic tank on 85 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > R&R 20 gal plastic tank on 85 CJ7

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 06-19-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

R&R 20 gal plastic tank on 85 CJ7

I'm looking for a write up on this procedure. I need to replace the filler and vent hoses and replace the sending unit. Parts will be in hand tomorrow.

Thanks

Unread 06-19-2002, 10:01 PM   #2
CJ7Jeff

It's not all that hard. I did mine just a few weeks ago. First thing I did was to disconnect the filler and vent hoses. You can try to disconnect the fuel lines to the sender through the left rear wheelwell. I opted to let the tank down a bit first, then do that. Then I put a jack under it and took the 3 bolts on the front of the skidplate and the 5 on the rear and started letting it down. Those 8 bolts are all that hold it in. Just let it down slowly and keep an eye on everything to make sure you don't get hung up on anything. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure you mark all of your lines when you take them off. Makes it a little easier to go back on. There are two 1/4" lines and one 3/8" line. Send me an email if you have any more questions.
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
jeepinbroder

Are we talking about the factory option oversized plastic tank on an 85 CJ7? I think it's actually a 21.5 gal? If so, how do your skid plates look? If they are new, where on earth did you get them? If they are horribly rusted like mine, have you been able to find them anywhere? Seems like noone makes them. I work at a sheetmetal shop, so I'll be designing my own soon if I can't find one. Thanks.
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:58 PM   #4
Woodbutcher100

I recently put a 21.5 gallon plastic tank in my CJ5 and I have been searching high and low for a pick up tube and sending unit. It has been almost a year since it went and I just want to repace it. There is a pinhole in the float and I suppose I could solder it but I would have to get the gas out first. If I wanted to fix the hole what the hell would I do to prevent my self from turning it into an M-80 or something?
Plymouth Plantation
Woodbutcher100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If it is just a pin hole soap....yes soap! will work well and seal it. Gas hardens soap and it will stay in place. There should be other sealers as well but for a pin hole in a float it should work well.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 06:26 AM   #6
Woodbutcher100

Wow! No kidding, just regular bar soap? I'll try it!
Plymouth Plantation
Woodbutcher100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Daddy:

I don't have a write-up, but it's easy. Losen what you can, then disconnect everything Jeff is on the $ with what he said. Your tank, which as you know is 20 gallons from the factory, not 21.5, likely has so much crud in it like mine did (140,000 miles as the time), prepare to rinse it at least 3 times. Start with water, let dry real well, then use gas with Drygas to rinse.

PS - never able to get the sender just right, it's about 1/4 tank off, but at least it's consistent, and I know that 1/4 means EMPTY.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:15 AM   #8
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. CJeep is right about the tank being a factory 20 gallon. It has the factory skid plate.

As for a 22 gallon skid plate, go to the new 4WheelDrive Hardware at <a href="http://www.4wd.com" target="_blank">www.4wd.com</a> and look up part number 9502. It's $69.99. You can see it on page 119 of the new catalog. They have it in stainless steel too for $109.99

I was able to find a new 1 inch filler hose but no luck on the vent hose. It's been discontinued. I got a new sending unit and tested in outside the tank. Works great. This is the second one I bought. The first I got mail order for $26 and it was crap. Never worked! So I bought this one from my local 4WD shop, paid a little more ($40 something), and it looks like good quality stuff and works good upon test. I'm still going to run some gas out of the tank and maybe this coming weekend install it. As for the vent tube, I'll just epoxy it up if I find it all cracked.
Unread 06-24-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
jeepinbroder

Thanks for the info on the skidplate, sorry for the confusion...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.