R&P Install- 1st hiccup-pinion nut issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > R&P Install- 1st hiccup-pinion nut issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
4BTCJ3A
1948 CJ3A 

R&P Install- 1st hiccup-pinion nut issues

OK, I am starting my R&P install in my 1978 D-30 NT. They are new Yukon gears (4.10:1) with a Yukon gear master install kit. I made my set up bearings and trial assembled the pinion gear into the case.

The problem is that when I go to snug the pinion nut down (using the same thickness shim stacks (+.0005" to comp. for new bearings), the nut threads on 2 or 3 turns and then get tough to turn, eventually getting extremely hard to turn. It is to the point it feels wrong. I used a little oil on the threads, and pulled it off/out once to check things. The nut threads looked shiny, but not x-threaded. The pinion nut threads look ok (no burrs that I could see), and match the old pinion gear, but the old nut will not thread onto the new pinion gear easily (I am saving the new pinion nut for final assembly). I stopped there so I don't end up messing some expensive stuff up.

Is the pinion nut a self-locking nut? Even if it were, it is much harder to turn than other self-locking nuts I have used.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Unread 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Save the new pinion nut for the last time you install it. Use the old pinion nut for the setup. The nut should spin on by hand for several turns before you have to wrench on it. The pinion nut is self locking but it is the top half of the nut that has the locking property. The first half of the nut will just spin on like a regular nut. If it does not then you have a bent thread or debris or something in the threads.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.