Quick Question on Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick Question on Shocks

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

Quick Question on Shocks

I have an 82 CJ7 that has coil over shocks installed front and back along with the leaf springs. I also have 33s installed and it has been this way since I purchased it. After accident I have replaced everything to get it running again however the coil over on the drivers side is busted and the coil is all the way down and the drivers side leaf spring has a slight bend at the rear of the spring. Overall the drivers side is down about an inch and this has allowed the tire to rub a bit on LH turns and LH hill...if that makes sense. SO here is the quick question to replace the front shock (No idea make or model) can I purchase ones spec'ed for the rear and install on the front? I had these in mind as they kinda look like what is on there now-- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDELCO-SPEC...85ec1a&vxp=mtr

M20Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sounds to me like the PO used the shocks with helper springs to gain a little lift. Ditch them completely and put regular shocks on it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M20Keeper View Post
I have an 82 CJ7 that has coil over shocks installed front and back along with the leaf springs. I also have 33s installed and it has been this way since I purchased it...
As stated before, those are shocks with a helper spring. A true coil over setup wouldn't need the leaf spring. It would need link arms and a probably a track arm (if not triangulated).

Quote:
... After accident I have replaced everything to get it running again however the coil over on the drivers side is busted and the coil is all the way down and the drivers side leaf spring has a slight bend at the rear of the spring.
A bent leaf spring is a problem in a couple of ways and should be replaced.
1) It is weak and prone to more bending.
2) Your axle is misaligned since the spring positions the axle.

As stated before, remove the helper-spring shocks, find out what the suspension height is without them, and replace the springs accordingly.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

So if its running 33s does it have to have a lift kit of some kind installed?
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
So if its running 33s does it have to have a lift kit of some kind installed?
Well it should but that may have been the reason for the spring shocks. You'll have to measure without them.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
M20Keeper
1982 CJ7 

OK thanks, think Ill look into a 2.5 inch leaf spring lift that should give me clearance.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.