Quick Question For the CJ Gods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick Question For the CJ Gods

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
CanukYJ

Quick Question For the CJ Gods

Hey guys, excuse the nickname but I own a YJ currently

I know someone selling a 1978 CJ with the 6cyl selling it at 400$. It still runs great (fires up right away) and it has the automatic (ugh, I prefer stick but that's ok, its the old automatice not the ...dodge... hehe). Is there anything I should be looking for on CJ's that usually wears out or dies that could make this hopefully-a-fun-project-vehicle into a why-did-I-do-it-nightmare? Thanks in advance!

CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Hey guys, excuse the nickname but I own a YJ currently

I know someone selling a 1978 CJ with the 6cyl selling it at 400$. It still runs great (fires up right away) and it has the automatic (ugh, I prefer stick but that's ok, its the old automatice not the ...dodge... hehe). Is there anything I should be looking for on CJ's that usually wears out or dies that could make this hopefully-a-fun-project-vehicle into a why-did-I-do-it-nightmare? Thanks in advance!
It's a quadratrac if it's stock, and if the qtrac transfer case has been abused, it might have to be rebuilt (qtrac transfer cases don't hold up too well). For $400, buy it and if you start second guessing, resell it or part it out.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
CanukYJ

Sounds ok then, the body is pretty nasty, but I like in northern Ontario where there's only 1 thing we get more of than snow and that's salt . No such thing as no rust here. Anything else I should look for guys? The engines or automatics don't have problematic things right? Hopefully this is a good buy, can't wait to be ripping her apart this winter and making a helluve ride out of it. hopefully...
Unread 10-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
It's a quadratrac if it's stock, and if the qtrac transfer case has been abused, it might have to be rebuilt (qtrac transfer cases don't hold up too well). For $400, buy it and if you start second guessing, resell it or part it out.
Qtrac cases were put behind 401s, they hold up quite well actually if properly maintaned.

a trouble spot to look for is rust through on the rear of the frame above the spring hangers.

the auto tranny is a strong TH400 with an AMC bolt pattern and the I6 can live forever.

also the rear axle is offset to the passenger side so axle swaps or transfercase swaps are a lil more difficult.

is this $400 canadian? either way i would pick it up for that price.
Unread 10-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
CanukYJ

Actually he wants 800$ CND but I -KNOW- I can talk him down to $500 CND, its body tub is one rusty clunker (no prob, its a jeep, makes it look vintage hehe) and it does need some work, he's selling it so he can go to school and is desperate to dump it, so I'm sure I can get it for $500 cash CND on spot. Not a bad deal for a running CJ.
Unread 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
wm69

Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #7
CanukYJ

Lol that's what my little jeep guy in my head keeps screaming. Don't have a garage for it though, I live in an Apt. BUT my friend has one at his house AND he needs a vehicle, so I think I've all but convinced him to buy and I will help him restore. ADDED BONUS-->Now I have a fellow jeeper to buzz trails with me. Hehe
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:47 PM   #8
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
(qtrac transfer cases don't hold up too well).
Not trying to rip you but you must not have experience with a PROPERLY MAINTAINED quadratrac. The chains are bigger that the model the Wrangler uses. This is bad tech advice that probably is coming from hearsay and not experience.

Canuk YJ, a $400 running CJ is a good deal. Use the proper fluids and you have a pretty strong drivetrain. Use it as a beater or a rebuild project. Let us know what you do.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:55 PM   #9
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Not trying to rip you but you must not have experience with a PROPERLY MAINTAINED quadratrac. The chains are bigger that the model the Wrangler uses. This is bad tech advice that probably is coming from hearsay and not experience.

Canuk YJ, a $400 running CJ is a good deal. Use the proper fluids and you have a pretty strong drivetrain. Use it as a beater or a rebuild project. Let us know what you do.
Was in a 79 with 20k miles on it (yes 20K original miles). We got the tires spinning good and the chain broke. I'll stick with my Dana 300 thanks very much. I have seen some qtrac's running 35's with no problem, but that one snapped chain kinda spooked me about them. But $400, what the hell. Drive it till she blows......

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
Brock

If the case was locked in emergency drive and had the right fluid, then there should have not been a problem. Spinning tires shouldn't have hurt. The qtrac is popular with sand runners who hook up 401s to them. I like having a V8 and th400 auto. The qtrac works flawless if properly maintained and used right.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #11
wm69

well, it belonged to the grandfather of a friend. He only used it for hunting at Harden Point MS (on the Mississippi river). He took it home one weekend a year to change all the fluids; maybe they put the wrong fluid in or something. All I know is he was pretty pissed when we came back to camp and told him something was wrong. Think it cost him a pretty penny to get the thing rebuilt. Kinda like the 2 piece axles in an AMC 20. Mine sheared off with 31's and I'm pretty easy on a drivetrain. Guy I work with has 35's and a 351 and he drives everywhere like he's racing, but he's got the orginal 2 piece axles in his... Go figure

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
CanukYJ

Thanks for thr info guys, I'll letcha know what happens.
Unread 10-23-2003, 08:40 PM   #13
CanukYJ

K saw the CJ, turns out its actually a 79 CJ-7 (those are the longer ones right?) with the 8 cyl in it. Anything bad about the 8's? The body was FINISHED. I've slept on mattresses that had less give than that body, one fender was totally gone altogether. I'm thinking about giving the guy 200$ CND for it and seeing if he'll go for it. The interior is nice, hardtop was fine. Started up on the first crank, heard some engine knock when he drove it forward but I think its just water in the gas tank from sitting for a year in his yard. The knock went away real quick, no leaks anywhere and the frame looked as good as my YJ's did! Brakes worked, springs still hold it at stock height. Just that body that's got me worried... Any input?
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #14
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
K saw the CJ, turns out its actually a 79 CJ-7 (those are the longer ones right?) with the 8 cyl in it. Anything bad about the 8's? The body was FINISHED. I've slept on mattresses that had less give than that body, one fender was totally gone altogether. I'm thinking about giving the guy 200$ CND for it and seeing if he'll go for it. The interior is nice, hardtop was fine. Started up on the first crank, heard some engine knock when he drove it forward but I think its just water in the gas tank from sitting for a year in his yard. The knock went away real quick, no leaks anywhere and the frame looked as good as my YJ's did! Brakes worked, springs still hold it at stock height. Just that body that's got me worried... Any input?
Don't worry about the body if you want to restore it... you can get the whole cab, the front grille, front fenders, and rear bed all online which just bolt on where the old ones came off. Pretty ugly overhaul but definitly not a reason to not buy it if you're planning to fix it up. My .02 at least!

I got a '82 CJ7 for $400... 4 Cyl. 4 Speed tranny, everythings stock with an AMC20 rear... only problems I have with it, is some of the knobs are broken... someone killed the antenna.. the vent ducting was so old all that was left was the metal spiral part, lol... and the engine needed an overhaul... so i figured a longblock would be more appropriate since its in good condidion. For what you can do with these things, if the important parts are in good shape (the frame, lol) its well worth your money!
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.