Quick nuttered question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick nuttered question

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

Quick nuttered question

I just bought and installed a holley 390 4bbl carb. I have already done the nutter bypass and I have set timing and all. It just doesn't seem to run great at 8* BTDC. I was wondering if I had a hose switched up on one of the vacuum ports. There is one large tube for the PCV valve and 2 small tubes, one is a full manifold vacuum source and one is a time spark vacuum source. Which one of these vacuum sourses should I hook the distributer hose to?

I also plan to do the Teamrush upgrade in the very near future.

Thanks in advance for help.

crrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Pog
1984 CJ7 

Use the Spark (aka Ported) vacuum source. Also remember to set your timing while running at ~700 RPM curb idle with the disty vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged. Reconnect it after you have everything dialed in.
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

Thanks a lot Pog, I have set it at 8* BTDC at 1600rpm kinda like what it says under the hood. I just assumed that was the correct way to do it because i could not find anywhere that it specifically said time it at idle. And thanks for the clarification of the spark is same as ported vacuum. It is all clear now.

Thanks again
Unread 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Pog
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrushing View Post
Thanks a lot Pog, I have set it at 8* BTDC at 1600rpm kinda like what it says under the hood. I just assumed that was the correct way to do it because i could not find anywhere that it specifically said time it at idle. And thanks for the clarification of the spark is same as ported vacuum. It is all clear now.

Thanks again
Glad I could help. There is tons of info in these forums and some great write-ups. However, many times the small details get left out. The emissions sticker under my hood stated the same thing about setting the idle at 1600 RPM. That would be true if you had not done the Nutter. The Nutter basically reverts your ignition system to a 1980 "Pre-Emissions" setup by bypassing the ECM and moving your distributor advance from manifold vacuum advance to spark (ported) vacuum advance on the carb. As a result, you must try and duplicate how a 6-258 setup would have run in 1980 or earlier. That means setting your timing around 8* BTDC at a 700 RPM curb idle +/-20 RPM. This in itself is still not law, but just a good starting point. Many setups, especially ones that have also been "Team Rushed" can run their timing advanced up to 12* BTDC without any problems.

Mine being Nuttered and TR'ed runs great around ~9-10* BTDC with no issues.

Good luck.
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

I thought about something else as well. When I time it at idle at *8 BTDC do I remove and block the ported valve?

Thanks again!!
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

Never mind, I reread the nutter write up and yes I will have to remove and plug the ported vacuum source. Thanks again.
Unread 02-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrushing View Post
Never mind, I reread the nutter write up and yes I will have to remove and plug the ported vacuum source. Thanks again.
In a perfect world you shouldn't have to, but the world isn't perfect so it is safest to just unplug and block the line.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.