Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Quick Nutter bypass Question

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CRJ1968 
#1 ·
I was reading up on this last night. Plan on doing it this weekend...

By doing this, the ECM is completely out of the system correct? Meaning I could remove it its whole wire loom? (taking off all the sensor wires, o2, knock, temp etc) My understanding is that all these sensors are feeding the ECM directly and it in turn is adjusting timing and the carb stepper, and the nutter is bypassing both these functions, correct? Trying to get this engine compartment cleaned up as much as possible...

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Thanks!
"for all those who want to perform the Nutter Bypass to eliminate the Electronic Control Module "

I still wonder if this means 'completely eliminate', like tear it all out, or is there still some voltages going through it we still need. I guess I'll find out soon enuf.

#6 ·
Mine's completely disconnected after the bypass...just haven't removed it yet (lazy:)) The computer controls the idle speed, timing, pulse air system and the fuel mixture in the carb. with the Nutter bypass you directly eliminate the computer's control of all these except the pulse air system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's part of the emission's systems...it's up to you to remove it or not. If you have an aftermarket carb like a Weber, then you removed tha old air filter assembly that housed the intake tubes that feed the pulse air valves, so it's not gonna work anyways.

check this site out:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
It'll explain better than I can what goes on under the hood and what the ECM effects.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Yes, you can remove all the wires, but you have to watch, there are a couple shared connectors, like the one for the reverse lights I think it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.