Quick ignition question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick ignition question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

Quick ignition question

Is the Ford e-core coil compatible with the Duraspark ignition modile and distributor with no other mods necessary? (I have the MSD taller cap adapter and MSD plug wires) Just don't want to mess anything up and I know the factory modules aren't the greatest. Have a 304 v8 btw.

SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Yes,

This is what I've been using on my '78 304 for a year, same set up that you have.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you dig up some of Jeephammers old posts he goes to some length to describe the difference in the e-coil - it was one of his favourite junkyard bits due to its quality and performance.

Nothing wrong with the original Duraspark Motorcraft modules, it is the Chinee junk replacements that give problems. However Jeephammer gives a nice write up on changing to a CDI type ignition, long been on my wish list as it works with the Motorcraft dizzie.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSportCJ View Post
Is the Ford e-core coil compatible with the Duraspark ignition modile and distributor with no other mods necessary? (I have the MSD taller cap adapter and MSD plug wires) Just don't want to mess anything up and I know the factory modules aren't the greatest. Have a 304 v8 btw.
This answer is going to be clear as mud...

The E-core has LESS RESISTANCE than the Canister Coil,
So if you have a CHEAP IMPORT module, it will allow the module to heat up more.

If you have a good quality module, the E-core will be tolerated by the module.

You will just have to try it and see if the module lives or not.

--------------------------

If the module FAILS, them do the 'John Strenk' Hybrid version of the module conversion,

Use a GM style HEI module hidden in the old case of the DuraSpark module you have now.
The HEI module is designed to work with the E-core style coils and will live a good long time with that coil, and you will get more spark energy to the plugs with it instead of the DuraSpark unit.

You can find both in my signature links.
Minor wiring with maximum results,
VERY reasonable price on the conversion also...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

As a side note,
My '86 FSJ (Grand Wagon) ignition gave up this winter. Just shut off for no reason with no warning.
Didn't matter if it was warm, hot, just started or ran all day without issues.
No rhyme or reason to the failures.

Sometimes you could let it sit for a few minutes and it would restart, other times days would pass before it would restart...

I took about 30 minutes and installed an old MSD 6 series module laying around here unused for years, not one issue out of it since.
I did have to turn the idle down (Idleing too fast with the MSD module since all cylinders were firing all the time),
And I did have to crank the timing down a little since there is no delay in the MSD module like there is with the DuraSpark module.

Fuel mileage went up considerably (From about 8 MPG to about 11 MPG) and it's DEPENDABLE,
Starts right up no matter how cold it is...

MSD 6 series module is an investment, but it's an alternative to mostly stock parts wired together, so it's a costly option.
I don't know what your wallet looks like after Christmas, but this would be an option if you have the money and inclination.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Hurrah! Jeephammer is back!

Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the responses guys! The reason I ask is that I have gone through a few ignition modules in the past, seems like it was about 3 or 4 modules within a 2 week period while running the e-core coil along with the DuraSpark unit. The jeep originally had a Wells DuraSpark ignition module and a canister style coil. I left the key on while working on something and it overheated the canister coil. I took JeepHammer's advice and got an e-core from a local junkyard here and ran it for quite a while with no problem at all.. probably about 5 or 6 months. The Wells module started oozing the potting material down my firewall so thinking it was going bad from leaving the key on that one time I replaced it with a "chinee" unit. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks then all of the sudden it went out on me. Replaced it with another of the same brand and it went out in about 3 minutes. Replaced it again (getting use out of the lifetime warranty) and it ran for about 2 days then quit again. I got a "premium" version of the same brand to get me home. Now its in the garage and the "premium" module still works... for now.

I think the problem may be that I dont have the 1.35 ohm resistor wire to bring the voltage down where it should be in "run." Is there a quick way to check this? When I put a test light on the positive terminal of the coil it shows bright in both start and run.

Anyways I am taking the advice of JeepHammer again and bought an MSD 6AL to replace the DuraSpark module but I would still like to fix the factory ignition for a backup or if I ever sell my CJ I can take the MSD back out quickly.
SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Anyone know what Jeep this distributor is from? Anyone think they might need it? I can let it go cheap + ship. Thanks

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
CSP

That's a Prestolite distributor used between 75-77. It's not much good without the ignition module specific to that distributor, and not much better even if you do have it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
That's a Prestolite distributor used between 75-77. It's not much good without the ignition module specific to that distributor, and not much better even if you do have it.
I gotcha, I may have the module, I gotta check again. How much do you think its worth with the module? thx
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
CSP

Not much. Most people who have them want them gone. The aka for Prestolite is Prestocrap.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Not much. Most people who have them want them gone. The aka for Prestolite is Prestocrap.
Haha, yea maybe that's why the guy just gave it to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.