Quick Carter BBL reassembly question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick Carter BBL reassembly question

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quick Carter BBD reassembly question

Yesterday I 'attempted' to fix my cold idle issues using the following procedure:

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem

I followed the procedure to the T, yet the thing runs worse.

The only thing I can think of, which was not mentioned in the procedure, are the "two screws with holes in the middle of them". If I remember correctly, these screws also have a hole in the side (?)

My question is this-
Are these 'side holes' supposed to face in the same direction (toward the carb throat, I assume)?

Thanks in advance

2X

Last edited by 2Xtreme; 01-03-2010 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: BBD carb, not BBL as originally posted
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

This is a pretty straight forward repair. I remove the venturi cluster and the idle tubes I don't run anything through the tubes but cleaner and compressed air, Make sure that you don't lose the check ball. There is a factory upgrade to the idle tubes I will see if I can find it tomorrow if not maybe someone else can post it. But it involves drilling out the tube to a larger size to help prevent this problem.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The holes in the bolts don't matter for orientation.

Most of us that go that route oversize the crimped end to 0.032" with a welding torch tip tool or a dremil tool bit which helps them not plug up.

I see more of those plug right away after a clean than I see stay cleaned because there is junk in the carb still.

I would recommend you now do the test again by watching for drips of gas to see if the fix 'held' or not.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Boodie
1961 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Yesterday I 'attempted' to fix my cold idle issues using the following procedure:

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem
I used the same EXACT web page to fix my Carter CARB and it worked GREAT! Hell I even did my 4.0 Head conversion and STILL use my Carter Carb set up! I was so impressed with how well it ran after doing the "fix" that I blew off putting on my Fuel Injection!

I hope you solved your carb problem!
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

9 degrees and 20mph winds today mean I am not going to be looking at it today.....

Every post I've read from people who have done that procedure state it was a simple, easy fix.

Maybe it's just me....
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
9 degrees and 20mph winds today mean I am not going to be looking at it today.....

Every post I've read from people who have done that procedure state it was a simple, easy fix.

Maybe it's just me....
What are you trying to fix?

When the idle tubes block, it just won't idle, period. You have to keep your foot on the gas or it dies. Even turning the idle speed screw in all the way might not be enough.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Thanks Mike, now I don't have to go out in the wind to the garage and look that up!
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
What are you trying to fix?
It just won't idle when it's cold. Stall at every stop and runs rough even whenon the gas.

I did manage to get it to idle somewhat, but it's a bear to get started. Once started it'll idle for a while, then die. But starts right back up no problem.

Still idles rough, but if I could get it to start I'd be a little happier. Once it turns over, I have to constantly feather the gas and it's like its running on 2 cylinders until it decides to idle on it's own...
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Now I remember why I avoided touching carburetors like the plague.....
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
It just won't idle when it's cold. Stall at every stop and runs rough even whenon the gas.

I did manage to get it to idle somewhat, but it's a bear to get started. Once started it'll idle for a while, then die. But starts right back up no problem.

Still idles rough, but if I could get it to start I'd be a little happier. Once it turns over, I have to constantly feather the gas and it's like its running on 2 cylinders until it decides to idle on it's own...
You are now describing a choke issue and maybe a gas filter in upside down.

The gas filter has two outlets and needs to sit level, the center one goes to the carb and the top one goes to the return line. If the return line isn't up top, gas can siphon back to the tank when it sits making it real hard to start. On a hot shutdown, the vapors produced blow back to the gas tank off the top of the filter rather than vaporlocking it also.

The choke should be set with the engine warmed up. The black cover should be 2 notches rich on the mark with the plate wide open and the engine running and you put the fast idle on the second from the top step and set the rpm to 1700 or so. This sets the fast idle steps right.

Once it is warmed up, the idle mix screws can then also be set. Have those been played with?
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I was actually thinking a filter issue, too. Looking at my photos (haven't gone out to the Jeep yet) the filter is indeed upside down, as the return is on the bottom. Nor is the filter sitting level, with the outlet side sitting 10-15 degrees higher.

Was planning on replacing filter today anyway. Thanks for the info, as I would have had no idea its orientation made a difference.

Will have to look at the choke settings as you described.
The idle mix screws have not been touched. The only thing I've done other than my initial post was mess with the choke cable a little. That has been jerry-rigged by the previous owner and I am trying to figure out how it is supposed to be routed/connected/set.

I will replace the filter, look at the choke and report back this afternoon.

Thanks again
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Sure enough, the filter was upside down, and full of crud. Replaced it properly and looked at the choke setting.

Choke appeared to be set per your instructions. I loosened it and repositioned it, just to be sure- although the notch on the cover is pretty wide. I centered it on the 2nd mark- I assume this is correct.

Played with the fast idle a little. Didn't have a timing light handy, so I winged it (wung it?).

So here is where it stands:
Starts sooner, but still wicked rough. But will remain running most of the time after stopping or goosing the gas, although acts like it is going to quit.

I assume this is progress?
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I assume this is progress?
Sounds like it to me.

Maybe ramp up the fast idle screw a little more. When warmed up 1700 rpm is a pretty good roar. When cold that setting is supposed to keep it at 800 +/- rpm when first started cold which slowly climbs as the engine warms up.

I started my CJ a couple days ago in below freezing weather and it had been sitting for 3 months and it chugged pretty bad for a while before it finally caught like it was running on 6 cylinders instead of two... It took the second start to keep from chugging out with me not on the gas pedal, but then it did behave right. Pretty normal for a carb I think.
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Well you are the wizard as far as I'm concerned, so I'll take your word for it ..... Lol.

I suppose I should probably just rebuild the thing, but I'm affraid I'd be worse off than I am now.....
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Well you are the wizard as far as I'm concerned, so I'll take your word for it ..... Lol.

I suppose I should probably just rebuild the thing, but I'm affraid I'd be worse off than I am now.....
Ohh, but they run soo sweet after a fresh kit.... The kits are easy to put in, you just don't take apart anything you don't need to to clean it and be sure to use two wrenches on the gas line fitting. It is also the float bowl setting so has to be held with a wrench while the gas line gets tightened. That little steel chunk of gas line between the carb and filter needs a good clean also, it holds a lot of junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.