Quick brakes question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quick brakes question

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quick brakes question

The line for the larger reservoir connects to the front, top port on the proportioning valve, correct?

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

WHAT you lost me a propreportionvalvrlydohicky!

J/K I hate brakes though.

Hopefully you are running the normal pro valve. Which has 4 holes one in front to go to front brakes. One in the rear to go to the rear brakes and two on top or bottom, I don't know how yours are mounted, both these goes to your MC the big one you speak of. I will fin a pick on line or take one tomorrow I have a cj with tub off atm.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

https://www.carolinaclassictrucks.com/Jeep-CJ-2.html

Here is the stock style, has a great photo with labels on each fitting. They seem to be different sizes going to the MC so one is 1/2 and the other is 7/16 prob so we don't put it in the wrong hole.
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
The line for the larger reservoir connects to the front, top port on the proportioning valve, correct?
The larger reservoir feeds the front (edit) brakes. In theory the fittings are different sized so you can't put them on backward.

Don't forget to bench bleed that master first or your next post will be about a really soft spongy brake pedal that no amount of bleeding will fix. The reservoir has to be level to do this, so it either has to be off the Jeep or you need to jack the rear up to level the reservoir. If it on a tilt, it will stay airlocked.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
munypit
1985 CJ7 

The larger reservoir actually should feed the front disc brakes.
munypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munypit View Post
The larger reservoir actually should feed the front disc brakes.
You are correct, it is the front one that feeds the backs.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Disc brakes were an option in 1977. We don't know if this Jeep has them.

If the Jeep has disc brakes the metering valve has to be held open during the bleeding. The metering valve is on the opposite end from the rear brake outlet and has a dust cover on it.

SOME people say if you bleed the FRONT brakes first, then the rear brakes and THEN the front brakes AGAIN, you can get around this.
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Guys you gave me everything I needed to know and then some!

Thanks! My jeep does have front discs btw
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.