Questions and a Poll for the board - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Questions and a Poll for the board

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 02-27-2002, 05:39 AM   #1
GRUB

Questions and a Poll for the board

With the return of my money that Uncle Sam has had all year, I plan on doing some grub (my 71 cj5)updates. First, anyone have a Bestop Supertop? Is it worth $100 more than the standard tigertop? Second, I need to replace a broke rear spring, so I figured I'd just replace all 4. How's the quality of JC Whitney Parts? They seem to have all the parts I need, plus they sent me a 15% off coupon in my last catalog. Now the Poll, to repaint it Competition orange w/ black top, or medium blue metallic with a gray top. Thanks for any replies in advance.

"The Grub"
GRUB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:13 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I'd avoid JC Whitney for anything that involves your safety. Don't get me wrong, they have some good stuff at great prices, but a lot of their stuff is junk. They really are the bargin basement for parts. For me, OK for some mirrors or whatnot, not OK for no-name springs. Buy your top from them. I like my Sunrider Supertop (came with Jeep), but I've never had a Tigertop, so I can't compare the two.

I like blue, and with the grey top you will be a little different than everyone else.

Good luck.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:05 AM   #3
Jeep CJ5

I had a Supertop on a CJ7 of mine...I thought the design and quality was very good. If you check out the Quadratec site there is a new Bestop 'Sailcloth' soft top that they say 'is quieter than a factory hardtop'. I am not familiar with it but maybe someone else is.

For springs you might as well put on a mild lift. I have used Skyjacker softride 2 1/2in springs which I really liked. Mind you my Jeep was not used for anything but mild offroading.

I think the 'Halloween' lk is cool for a Jeep!
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
casey

I recently bought a 77 CJ7 and have been getting several catalogs lately. I'll double check this for you but I think it was my Quadratec catalog that had a 10% coupon for a Besttop. The coupon is in the middle of the catalog near the order form and is an actual card with a number on it attached to a Besttop ad. I'll make sure it is Quadratec as I have several catalogs.
My vote is Blue. Personally either would be better than the Levi Tan on my 77.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #5
junger

Yep, you're correct. Quadratec has 10% Bestop products. For the springs, I would too avoid JC whitney and check with Quadratec... The great thing about Quadratec is that that'll probably match prices and give you a very good deal. Try to get free shpping as well since JC Whitney is offering it with products over 250 (I think). I've done that a couple of times.

-Josh
junger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:12 PM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

JC Whitney is okay for springs if you buy brand name springs. I bought Ranchos from them many years ago and they were no different than any others. Although, I've been pricing springs everywhere, and JC is no less than anyone else! You may try the free shipping angle with all the catalog places and see where that takes you.

I got a 10% off coupon from 4wheeldrive when I requested a new catalog. If you already have one, just request one in a different name and see where that takes you too.

Quote:
new Bestop 'Sailcloth' soft top that they say 'is quieter than a factory hardtop'.
I've read some good things about this top and it will probably be my next top. You still get some road noise, but it doesn't flap around I hear.
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I've got my eye on the Sailcloth top too, but as far as I know, there isn't one for a CJ yet. While I know a YJ will work, you'd need the factory YJ softtop hardware and 1/2 doors as the door tops are squared off and sit in a channel, and I don't want to go back to 1/2 doors (I like the full softs I have). Plus the cost would be prohibative, on top of the actuall top (get it?) costs.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:11 AM   #8
GRUB

Thanks for the input! So the score is 1 orange, 1 blue, JC 0. I'll check into the Quadratec, I've never ordered anything from JC, but my brother ordered a fender for the 76 chevy rusttruck he had and had a heck of a time getting it to line up. Just don't want to go through the same ordeal I went through when I replaced the Master Cylinder. Grub was down for 3 weeks until I figured out the retaining collar on the actuating arm was a few thousandths too thick to allow the fluid to return back into the new cylinder.
"The Grub"
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
JIM79CJ7

Grub ,
I have the bestop supertop and As far as other tops go I think it is the best .JC Whitney sells ok stuff they do sell Name brand parts ,It's always better to know the manufacturer .
NOW : MY OPINON ON PAINT JOB IS ORANGE BABY! ORANGE / BLACK COMBO ROCKS ! Check out my pics in sig . 72 chevy hugger orange.
JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:16 PM   #10
mikeythefireman

Hey Grub,
Make that three for orange and black!

The brighter the better. It goes best with mud!!!

I got no input on the top or JC, sorry.
Unread 03-01-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
GRUB

Well Jim79, your photos just sealed the deal, that's what I want. As far as the springs go, after using the ole TI35, figured I could get the superlift kit w/ shocks for $75 more than just the JC replacement springs. So, looks like I'm going with the superlift kit. thanks for the recomendation Jeep Daddy. Anyway, if anyone knows anything about the 225, got a question I'm posting in engines if anyone can answer concerning electronic ignition.Thanks for the replys. I envy you SOCAl dudes, stationed there for 6 years, last night it hit 12 here in Western NC.Grub was warm in the basement, although I think the cat slept on the hood.
"The Grub"
Unread 03-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
bodi

hey grub, i am in upstate sc so we aren't far apart. i really wanted to get the sailcloth for my 83 cj7 and contacted bestop to ask if they were planning on making one for the cj in the near future. they responded back that at this time they were not planning on it. i would recommend the supertop over the tiger top. better seals around the body and you don't have to deal with snaps.
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.