Questions to ask/what to look for when buying CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Questions to ask/what to look for when buying CJ7

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
ewerbeck

Questions to ask/what to look for when buying CJ7

Hello all,

I hope to be back here sooner rather than later, because I'm contemplating purchasing a CJ5 or CJ7 soon.

I'm going to look at a CJ7 tomorrow... It seems in decent condition exterior-wise, but (of course) that is not my major concern. I know the engine and tranny have been rebuilt... It has a lift (not sure if suspension/body or both).

I'm hoping you might be able to give me a list of ideas/questions to ask the seller that might hit the highpoints of concerns for CJ7s. I understand there is always risk, etc. But I hope to educate myself.

All input is appreciated!

Thanks

ewerbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

take a small hammer and screwdriver.
crawl under the jeep and look at the frame,
no matter how well it runs and looks on the outside, if the frame is rusted up or rotten you have a serious problem.

jeeps are bad for electrical problems, check all switches and lights, if the motor is warm when you get there seller may be covering a hard starter when cold.

ask that the motor be cold when you come to look, otherwise you are sunk, as you might have to wait until the next day for the motor to cool off.

some old jeeps will not start well the next day, they have fuel related problems.

be sure all the shrouds are around the fan, otherwise the motor will get hot, must have proper air flow.

just a few things to think about. how does it drive on a rough, bumpy road, most old jeeps are worn out in the front end, and it will cost more than the jeep is worth to fix or repair the front end.

many that have a old jeep for sale have been waiting for pretty sunny days, so they can set the old jeep out on the road for sale,
hoping potential buyer will only be thinking of how cool he is going to look driving a jeep with the top down, not thinking about all the mechanical, electrical and body problems of owning an old jeep.

good luck with your purchase, all take another old school jeep owner with you to look at the jeep.
he will know more what to look for.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.