questions about buying a cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > questions about buying a cj7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
aggiepaula
2001 WJ 

questions about buying a cj7

Howdy, everybody; I have a question about a Jeep for sale in my town. I'm going to call up the guy selling it tomorrow, but I need advice on what I should ask him.

I'm not gonna have have much time to work on it now (I'm a student and I'm poor) so I'd need something in fairly good condition. If I do buy it, I wouldn't be able to do any work to it immediatly, but if it's the right price then I don't want to miss out on it.
So I'm asking for ideas from y'all on what you would look for in this Jeep if you were in my situation. It's an 85 CJ7 and I haven't really gotten to take a good look at it. It's kind of banged up (missing a side mirror, some dents) and it looks like it has a little rust.

If you have any input or advice, please share!!

-Paula

Unread 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

try to test drive it for 30 min or so.
where is the rust and how much
what does the driveline consist of
how much do they want
what do you want to do with the cj? dd or mud or rock????
LSUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Javelina

Howdy Paula,

Where's this Jeep at, is it here in CS?
Texas Jeep Owners Club Member #51
Javelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

Look the frame over real well for rust, and look for any leaks.
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
aggiepaula
2001 WJ 

Brady: At this point I'm not even totally decided on what I finally want the Jeep to be. I want it to be daily driveable but I probably won't ever be taking it on rocks.
I haven't talked to the guy yet so I'm not sure how much he wants; it doesn't look very modified at all; how much would you expect a mostly stock to sell for?

Dr. Jones: The Jeep is at a storage place on 6 and Harvey; I think it's Lock & Roll or something. It's in the parking lot facing the highway.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

make a list of things you want in a cj. (as in the engine, trans, and gearing) Being basically stock is great for a dd. Ask the owner what mods have been done. what year is it? Does it have tops and doors? How has it been used lately?(sitting for awhile or driven regularly)
LSUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Javelina

Is that the same one that's been there for awhile? I've seen it a few times, but I've never gone over to check it out. Definitely look for serious rust on the frame and drive it around. It's been pretty cold that last few days and depending on how often he turns it over it might not start very well; which is something you can bring up when you're trying to get the price you want. You may want to bring a small magnet (a refrigerator magnet will work) and move it around the body, if there is filler in places it won't stick. I'm not saying that a little bondo is a bad thing, but if the whole body is patched up, you may want think about it.
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've owned a few CJs around that year. Here's what I would look for in a DD. Rust in the floor pans and around the base of the roll cage (behind driver/passenger seat), and I agree with Dr Jones...look for bondo. A little is fine but be careful if it's a pile of bondo. Run it and get it warm. Then, let it idle for a while and give it a punch of gas (in neutral)...any smoke? Or....while driving let off on the gas and look for smoke. Drive it down a hill and let the transmission hold you back. See what it does. Also, look for the obvious leaks. If you can, I'd take it to a local mechanic!!!! That's the best thing to do. Compression test, etc. Check the knobs and gauges. It's typical for those to not work after 20+ years. Remember, that stock Jeeps are a lot better as DDs and also they are getting rare. Therefore, it may be worth more than you think IF its in good shape. The best advice.....drive it alone for a good long period...and see a mechanic for a quick check. Also, be prepared to spend some money on a 80s CJ. It's just part of it. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. Hope that gives you some thoughts.
ClarkGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Javelina

Yeah, I completely spaced about taking it to a mechanic. I don't know if you have one in BCS, but I use B&B, they are in Bryan on Coulter, they do good work and have reasonable prices.

B&B Automotive Services
1007 S. Coulter Dr.
Bryan
775-3413
Unread 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
3Rotts
1985 CJ7 

lock in the hubs and check the 4 wheel drive.
3Rotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Javelina

How much were you planning on offering, or better yet, what is the owner asking for?
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
aggiepaula
2001 WJ 

I went back and looked at it in the light of day and there was a lot more rust on it than I thought there would be. Floorboards seem to be covered, so I ended up not calling the guy. If you've seen it there for a while, Dr. Jones, then I'm assuming it might still be there for a while so I might call after I get a little more money so I can fix the rust problem. I'm not sure how much they sell for around here so I'm not sure what I'd be asking. I'm looking at that CJ-5 down in Houston now; I'm waiting for the seller to reply to an email I sent. I'm very hesitant about buying anything at all; I'm afraid of getting myself into something that's gonna make me go completely broke.

Thanks for all the input, everybody! You've given me a lot to think about and look for.
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Javelina

Yeah, I went to look at it today, it's definately beat up. It's going to need some serious bodywork. New floor boards, the rocker panels are rusting, you'd have to get a new hood if want it to look good. Maybe if the engine is in good shape that might redeem it, but otherwise I wouldn't pay more than a grand for it, maybe less.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.