Question About Starter Solenoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Question About Starter Solenoid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
firedawgsatx
1975 CJ5 

Question About Starter Solenoid

I am a newbie jeep owner. I just acquired my 1975 CJ5 Renegade with the prestolite ignition system. I want to get rid of the prestolite system and install
the system I have seen JeepHammer and others post extensively about. The system I want to do is installing the distributor from a '79 CJ7, an HEI ignition module from a 1979 GM vehicle, an e-coil from a Ford, and etc. I have a pretty good grasp of the parts needed and most of the wiring required to do the upgrade. My question is concerning the wiring to the starter solenoid and the "S" and "I" terminals. I have read many of the schematics JeepHammer has posted and read the wiring schematic the best I can. One of the things I can't figure out is: do I need to connect the light blue wire from the ignition switch to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid? In the wiring diagram it does seem to show that but I haven't seen it in the diagrams others have posted. It appears that the "I" terminal should have a red wire from the "B" terminal of the ignition module and a wire from splice "G" coming from the ignition switch. Can anyone please enlighten me? Thanks for your assistance!

firedawgsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

PM me first w/ phone #'s . I'm right up I-35 and have the complete running setup you describe in Nugene, I did the whole thing, dizzy rebuild, curve mods, everything you could have done. Bring camera and something to write on or for the time being PM me an email addy and I'll email you pic's (picasa and email are easier and faster than Photobucket. ) If you have any other questions, I've done a 100% rebuild on the whole Jeep and you can look at anything you want.
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
firedawgsatx
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the fast reply. I have sent you a PM with my e-mail address. I would appreciate any and everything you can provide to get rid of that prestolite system. I understand most of the upgrade but mainly confused about the starter solenoid wiring. I will also have some questions about the Motorola alternator and the wiring. I appreciate it.
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Good job 408!

Welcome to the forum, firedawg, this is what you can expect here.
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
I will also have some questions about the Motorola alternator and the wiring. I appreciate it.
Got the quick and easy cure for that too when you're ready.
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
firedawgsatx
1975 CJ5 

Thanks, I really appreciate all the assistance!
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawgsatx View Post
.... One of the things I can't figure out is: do I need to connect the light blue wire from the ignition switch to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid? ....
In short, Yes. "S" is for activating the starter solenoid to supply power to the starter motor. IT should match up with a blue wire comming off the ignition switch.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Hmmmm, now I'm wondering if the PO meant the relay or solenoid...
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
Hmmmm, now I'm wondering if the PO meant the relay or solenoid...
The guy has 3 posts... Smart Azz!

Starter Relay, he has the 'Ford' type starter, so he's talking about the starter relay on the fender, not the mechanical solenoid down on the GM starters...
Just to clear it up for the other Newbies that you just confused!

-----------------------------------------------

Does this Prestolite to Motorcraft/HEI Hybrid diagram mean anything to the OP?

Prestolite equipped vehicles didn't have a 'I' terminal on the starter relay ('Solenoid'), they didn't need one since the ignition was powered directly from the key switch in both 'Start' and 'Run' positions of the key switch.
(Didn't use a split ignition system, one side for staring, the other for 'Run')

Two big questions for the OP,

1. Do you have a factory tach?

2. Do you have an automatic transmission?

If you DO NOT have a factory style tach,
You can use a power relay and larger gage feed wire to the igniton coil for a little more output of spark energy.
Aftermarket tach is fine, they work well either way.

If you have an automatic transmission, there might be an extra wire for the Neutral Safety Switch. Not a big deal, just want to be aware of that.

*IF*...
You choose to use the factory Prestolite wiring, cut as much wire off the old module as you can salvage.
Use that wiring/plug to connect the HEI module to the wiring harness already in place.
Don't forget to fill it with dielectric grease when you connect it back up to stop corrosion and moisture from entering the plug halves.

If the plug is in bad shape, you can leave it out entirely, and wire directly to the harness.

You don't 'Need' the MSD adapter shown in the diagrams above (Distributor to harness) since you can cut and splice the distributor wires directly to the harness, but you no longer have a quick plug at the distributor connection.
The adapter keeps that plug in place.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
The guy has 3 posts... Smart Azz!

I am; no offense was intended. Sometimes I think I'm being funny, but as my wife reminds me I'm really not.

Just had to pull in the reference from your "rant" thread. If you check that you will see my story about asking for a starter solenoid and getting exacly that, then having to explain that I really wanted a relay.
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
firedawgsatx
1975 CJ5 

JeepHammer, Thanks for the awesome information and diagram you provided. No, I don't have a tach and the transmission is not an automatic. There is an "I" terminal on the solenoid, obviously replaced by the PO. There are no wires connected to the "I" terminal on my application. So that is a good thing. Looking at the wiring schematic I did not see any wires going to the "I" terminal and that was my confusion. I found splice "G" in the schematic and it appears that wiring splits three ways: The red w/TR 14 ga. wire goes to the (+) terminal of the coil, the red w/TR 16 ga wire goes to power the ignition module and the third wire is 16 ga yellow and goes to the voltage regulator. I am pretty sure I need to save the yellow wire to the VR. The condition of the original plug going to the prestolite module is suspect and I plan on replacing it. Since I am going to wire the new GM HEI module as you have shown in your diagram, am I correct in assuming that I cut the red 14 ga. wire at the 'G" splice, cut the two wires to the coil and the ignition module and save the yellow wire and then splice my new
red wire to the where it was cut?
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
firedawgsatx
1975 CJ5 

John,

Thanks for clearing up the issue with the light blue wire to the "S" terminal. I appreciate it!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.