Question about relays - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Question about relays

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

Question about relays

1984 CJ7 258 I-6

I am installing a 3 switch panel on my dash. Running a toggle switch for ignition, push button start, and accessory toggle switch. It says it is a 40 amp switch.

How many relays do I need to install going to this panel?

I was thinking that if I put a 4 pin, 40 amp relay on the supplied power, that might be all I need.

Also, where is a good place to get the relays from? I can't seem to find more than one at my local parts stores. Plus I know they are cheap on the internet and I don't mind waiting on them. This is all new to me so anyone with any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just installed the Painless 10110 wiring harness and this is the last step I have to get my jeep back on the road.

I know it is not what most guys would do, but I like the idea of having a push button start. The PO didn't have a key to the column and all my internals of the column as well as ignition switch were shot. I bought this switch panel and also am installing a keyed kill switch on the battery terminal for a little bit of protection. This is just a trail rig/hunting rig so I'm not looking to spend a bunch on new/rebuilt column, lock cylinder, etc.

Thanks in advance

TexAg09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
CSP

I'm not sure where you think you need a relay with that schematic.

Or why a relay is needed. There aren't any relays for those circuits using the stock ignition switch.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

When I contacted painless, they told me I needed a relay going to the switch.

I was thinking the same thing about not needing a relay, but I wanted to see what the consensus is before messing something up. I've spent a lot of time and effort so far and don't want to mess it up.
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I can't see you really needing a relay with a 40a switch. The stock key switch has none. Your output from the various switches needs to be full power.

You could set up each circuit on a relay and just use the switches to trigger each relay, but that is just more parts to go bad some day. Folks do that when they want to run low amp micro switches to turn on big power. You are using big power switches already.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Mike. It was just a precaution and wanting to be sure before messing something up.

This electrical is all new to me.

If someone else needed a diagram for what wires go where, there ya go. I used the Joe's Racing 46100 switch panel
Unread 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
CSP

I agree with Mike and don't quite understand why Painless would suggest that, other than they might think you're using a common parts store switch which doesn't have a very high rating.

I also believe that the correct way to put it would be that a switch would be used to trigger a relay rather than a relay going to a switch.

The former means the relay is downstream of the switch and the latter means the relay is providing power to the switch.
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Depending on wire size and switch capacity, you probably don't need a relay in the 'Start' circuit/push button.
The starter relay on the fender will need about an amp capacity, and most common automotive switches will handle that.

IF you have a factory ignition, you are looking at about 3 amps, so again, most common automotive switches will do that job.

Accessories are another story.
Since you didn't give a list of the things you want to hook up to 'Accessory' we have no idea how much of a load you are going to draw.

High draw will need a relay, low draw won't.

---------
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

No accessories right now. Will install radio at later date but as of now, nothing.

Thanks for the direction guys
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

If you connect all your power in series and add a 12V source to it in the beginning, then technically you are reducing the system to a 2-switch system: "ON" and "Start". You would be able to turn over the engine and not be able to get it running if the accessory or ignition switches are off.

These may help...or maybe they don't. Second one is from John Strenk.
untitled1.jpg  
ign_switch.jpg

dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Since you're new to electrical, keep in mind what a relay does: It is just a switch that is turned on/off by another switch or circuit. Literally, the mechanism "relays" (or switches) your control (on/off) to the other circuit.

Why are relays needed then? Classic example: If you have a high amperage circuit like headlights or a light bar full of lights that create a large electrical load, and you want to switch the lights on/off with a smaller (low amperage) switch, or a switch that can't handle the high electrical load of headlights, then you let the relay do the switching of the lights, and you use your small/tiny/low-amperage switch to turn the relay on and off. One benefit to this (the heeadlight scenario), is that you can avoid having to run thick gauge electrical wires all the way to the on/off switch. Instead, all of the big wiring hits the relay, and you use smaller/thinner/lower amperage wires to switch the relay on and off.

As has been posted already, if you have a 40 amp switch then that is heavy duty and you would be less likely to need a relay in the circuit. I think automotive relays are typically found in amperage ratings of 10 to 50 amps, so your 40 amp switch would take the place of most relays.
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
CSP

Voltage drop is probably a bigger reason to use relays.

With the light example if you have a switch that can handle the load you're running a long distance of wire from the battery to the switch and then back out to the grille area. With a relay the main power feed can go straight from the battery to the lights, eliminating a lot of wire distance which equals voltage drop from one point to the end.
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Voltage drop is probably a bigger reason to use relays..
Good point. When you're only starting with 13 or 14 volts, even a 5% drop in voltage equates to over half a volt loss. Lose 20% of your voltage and you've gone from 14 to 11 volts. With lighting, that equates to dimmer lights which goes against the point of the lights in the first place
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Voltage drop is probably a bigger reason to use relays.
this is not correct at all. you did say probably though.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
CSP

So in your opinion, what is correct?
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

there is no opinion as to what a relay is for. it's a switch that uses a low current circuit to CONTROL a high current circuit.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.