question about the leaf springs, OEM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > question about the leaf springs, OEM

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

question about the leaf springs, OEM

i have some lean in our CJ that i want to correct and would like to get this thing to feel a bit more stable at 55 mph. currently the rear has 6 leaf and the front has 4 leaf. is this a normal configueration?. it leans to the left slightly and i will be simply replacing with stock components "no lift". shocks, bushings, springs, sway bar links. should it be 6 and 6?

thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
CJATE

Some one will chime in on the count.

A spring shop can correct the leafs to speck. Also google YJ springs, lot of guys like that ride.

I lucked out and grabbed some from a buddy lifting his.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

My 83 CJ7 still has OEM springs, 4 front, 6 rear also.
Leans a little on drivers side just like everyones.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

thanks for the info

i figuered the lean was OEM AMC design?. anyway, the YJ upgrade would be nice but i dont want to mod the front hangers. this is a 100% original jeep other than front seats which i replaced and threw the old ones in the junk yard?, im still regreting that!. ill order the springs on monday and keep the 4/6 config. thanks!
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I ran 4 front and 4 rear on mine. But also have a fiberglass body, no top, and built very light (light weight bumpers, etc.).
My current YJ springs are 4 in front, and 5 rear.
It has a nice soft ride, but when loaded down with camping gear, it will sway a little in the corners.

It all depends on your weight, and what type of ride you are looking for.
Here's a chart with the spring ratings for the different spring packs.

Unread 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Leaf spring count all depends on what the Jeep came with as it left the assembly line. 4 leafs up front could be a 4 cylinder engine or factory 'so called" soft ride. 6 leafs in the back indicate you have a factory hardtop with steel doors? Without hardtop, usually only 4 or 5 leafs.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
Leaf spring count all depends on what the Jeep came with as it left the assembly line. 4 leafs up front could be a 4 cylinder engine or factory 'so called" soft ride. 6 leafs in the back indicate you have a factory hardtop with steel doors? Without hardtop, usually only 4 or 5 leafs.
Yes, factory hardtop, 6 springs in rear on mine.
I do have the 4.2, but from information you provided Keith, with my stock 3.54 ratio, it came with the 4 cyl?
She does ride very nice, not bouncy, etc.
Though when I replace springs in the future, I will probably go 6 leaf front with the winch.
Maybe up the rear to 8 with the aftermarket bumper/tire carrier, about 60 lbs, spare, about 55 lbs, a tool box always carried, another 60-80 lbs.

Unread 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

For 1983 model year, the standard gear ratio for the 4 cylinder engine would have been 3.54 with a 4.09 as an option. 2.73 standard on the 6 cylinder with a 3.31 as optional.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
For 1983 model year, the standard gear ratio for the 4 cylinder engine would have been 3.54 with a 4.09 as an option. 2.73 standard on the 6 cylinder with a 3.31 as optional.
That's what I figured out Keith. Wish I had the 3.73, for my use would be perfect, but oh well.
Ocerall it runs good, spring arch still good.
I noticed/commented on the jeep lean in the brochure post from Overland magazine. It makes sense in a way, they used to crown dirt roads more years ago.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

yes, factory "soft ride" hard top, steel doors

[QUOTE=keith460;15624510]Leaf spring count all depends on what the Jeep came with as it left the assembly line. 4 leafs up front could be a 4 cylinder engine or factory 'so called" soft ride. 6 leafs in the back indicate you have a factory hardtop with steel doors? Without hardtop, usually only 4 or 5 leafs.[/QUO

ill stay stock at $100 each from morris 4x4. will the "lean" likely be corrected with the new springs or will it require shimming?. somewhere on here im hearing shims are required on one side in the rear to correct a factory flaw?. thanks for the info and spring chart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.