Question about frame clean-up??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Question about frame clean-up???

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-04-2002, 08:36 AM   #1
tgc79cj5

Question about frame clean-up???

Is it possible to do a good job of cleaning, sanding and painting the frame, axles, etc., of my '79 CJ5 without having to remove the body???

I just bought the Jeep a few weeks ago and there is a lot that I want to do to it --- as money allows. It is running and driving good (thanks to a lot of advice from this board!!), but I want to make sure that it is sound from the ground up. I am not talking about a heavy-duty build-up, I just want it to be dependable and look good.

It seems like the frame would be the place to start???

Any advice would be appreciated!!

tgc79cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2002, 10:44 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

My dad always said, "Son, if you're not going to do a job right, don't even bother starting..."

So, basically, take the body off (it's not hard) and go to town on all of the frame, not just what's visible...
Unread 10-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #3
tgc79cj5

Thanks for your advice ---- I think I knew the right answer before I asked the question. This is my first Jeep and I guess I'm a little intimidated to start tearing into it.

There is also some rust damage where the tub steps up to the bed, it would probably be best to take off the body, clean-up the frame and repair the rust spots while I'm at it.

Thanks again!!
Unread 10-07-2002, 06:30 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Absolutely correct.
Listen, I bought my CJ in August of last year.... I first took it to a local shop to have all the broken stuff fixed... I was intimidated too. I never even changed my oil before owning my CJ.

Now after a year... nothing phases me.

Just heed this one bit of advice.
Bag and Tag every bolt... take pictures... especially when you pull the dashboard off. Write down where each wire goes and put tape on each wire in the dash, you'll have no issues if you do this.

You can reach me at jadams68@bellatlantic.net if you have any questions about tearing the jeep apart...
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:36 AM   #5
ssg11bravo30

Definitely tag the wiring!!! Cj's are notorious to begin with as far as dash electrical goes. At one point my first CJ (75' CJ5) would flash all the dash lights with the right turn signal. I tore my 79' down to the frame in Jan. 02. Stripped, prepped and welded everything from there. The Jeep was back together (new glass body) by June and and running down the road- straight before July started. Right now my gauges aren't hooked up because I was in to much of a hurry to get things going and didn't tag the wires!!! The only gauges that I have going so far is the speedo and the voltmeter. Learn from my mistake- cuz I didn't (didn't do it on the 75' either).
Black Jeep Club Member #9
Drivin' a bone stock 2002 GC
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291045345
ssg11bravo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
antman

Quote:
You can reach me at jadams68@bellatlantic.net if you have any questions about tearing the jeep apart...
Can he call you when putting it back together ? Sorry, that was the first thing that popped into my simple mind.

They are right. Label/tag/picture. There is no overkill. I just removed the dash and harness today, and wires everywhere. As you remove em, TAG em. Its alot longer and time consuming, but you wont be swearing on how life sucks when your putting things back. Instead your be telling yourself during reassembly how smart you are for taking the time.
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:09 PM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

or you can buy the painless wiring harness that has everything labeled.

Remeber, in this life, everything has a price. So, what is your time worth?

cb
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 11:30 AM   #8
tgc79cj5

Thanks to all for your replies!
I have not yet jumped in to this project, but I am going to when I can. There are a couple of things that cause me to hesitate:

1) How much time should this project take?
* Reasonable mechanical skills
* Not a lot of specialty tools
* My 15 yr old son to help
* I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and I'm afraid that once I get started there will be no stopping point that is "good enough".

2) How much $$ should I budget for this project?
* Specialty tools, materials, parts, etc???

All advice is appreciated!!
Unread 10-14-2002, 08:13 AM   #9
ssg11bravo30

This is what I went through and what I used:
Specialty Tools:
*Oxy-Acetylene Torch (for cutting those stubborn bolts)- borrowed from pops
*Welder (I used a stick good to 285 amps) for repair work- $150 at a garage sale
*Compressor- (I think about $250)check the Sears flyer
*Impact wrench- $100 (600 ft/lbs in reverse)
*Torque wrench- $70
*3/8 and 1/2 drive sockets- $150-$200
*Torx Bits- $20

I replaced the tub and fenders (fiberglass- $1,500), strengthened the frame, replaced gas tank and all the lines ($200), replaced all the brake lines and the entire rear brake assemblies ($170), 4" susp. lift ($450), shackles ($50), repaired the body mounts- priceless, different seats (free), sandblasted/stripped everything and repainted- pretty much everything that didn'y look right was replaced. I'm sure there is a bit of misc stuff my wife has no idea I spent money on. I started the teardown in Jan. and had it mostly complete by Jun (my wiring harness was in decent shape though). I was driving it by July. Most of the work was done by me alone with some help from my dad (he's the problem solver and quite the engineer). As a father and son project it should take at least six months which should take you up to next season.

I would think almost any one could take on this type of project- if you got in any trouble all you need is the forum- tons of help here.

I put over $3k in parts, no idea how many hours of labor.

I hope this helps, good luck and email me if you have any specific questions, by the way- mine is a 79' CJ7, the mechanicals are identical. ssg11bravo30@prodigy.net
Black Jeep Club Member #9
Drivin' a bone stock 2002 GC
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291045345
ssg11bravo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2002, 11:53 AM   #10
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I agree with the list of goodies.

I have also used the following:

sawzall
cut off tool(grinder)
breaker bar(definitely)

I am at the point where everything is off the frame, I just replaced the rear cross member and now I am on to the same thing.

I plan on the gas tank and lines and 4" lift, etc.

I don't forsee any other tools that I need. I did use a good drill to drill out the rivets after I cut off the rear cross member. A few trips to the Depot as well to get some new bolts here and there.

I pretty much have put in around $3300 so far, that includes the price of the jeep, $1600, however, the rest of the stuff has been cleaning supplies and tools. The only jeep parts that I have bought thus far is a new water pump, spark plugs, and an air cleaner to fire it up before I took it apart.

It needs all new lines and brakes and exhaust plus the body. Also needs seats and a new dash. Top that off with a wiring kit and some new rims and rubber, I am looking to do this for anywhere between 7500 and 10K when all is said and done.

I figure to have it done by August and I started about a month ago. The tear down is pretty fast, it is getting the cash and the time to put it back together which is where I am at now. Mostly weekend warrioring, I have spent over 80 hours so far on it and I am just in the beginning.

I agree with what ssg11bravo30 says aobut al lthe stuff, but time is going to be the biggest enemy. If you are mechanically inclined, it isn't too hard to do. Go out and buy yourself a good manual, ask questions here, and don't buy any tools that you will only use once. You can usually get them from a parts store for a small rental fee or sometime for free.

Really depends on how gung-ho you are about this. I find at times that it becomes depressing when you ahve the time, but not the money, or vice versa. Also progress goes in spurts. Ripping down the Jeep took three weekend. I have now spent the past 6 weekends on the frame cleaning it, fixing it, etc.

be patient and have fun
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.