question about driving in third gear. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > question about driving in third gear.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
jamesc59
1959 CJ5 

question about driving in third gear.

been having a problem when in third gear, after i shift into third gear about maybe a minute in my cj-5 will just start shaking violently, scares the crap out of me everytime, im fairly new to driving stick, so im not to sure if im just not going the correct speed when shifting or ive heard that may be u-joints? anybody have any ideas what may be the cause or anybody with any experience with this?

jamesc59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What mph and rpm are you at when it does this?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Does this only happen in 3rd gear? Do you feel any vibrations in first when you are just getting the jeep move?
hopefulcj76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
NExOBLIVISCARIS
1970 CJ5 

only time my cj5 starts shaking violently is when i put it in reverse and it only shakes until the clutch is fully engaged. are you shifting when the engine starts to lug?
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Mine shifted violently in first gear on the beach when the engine started to lug, it was bad, I thought that the drivetrain was going to explode at times. I replaced the engine mounts with the daystars and changed out the t-case/tranny as well. All is fixed. It's a pain, but it's worth it.
hopefulcj76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Are you lugging it? As in trying to drive in 3rd gear. Just off idle
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
titomars
1981 CJ7 

3rd gear is also right about death wobble speed. Are you sure it's trans related and not just speed related? If this happens only at a certain speed whether you are in 3rd, 4th or neutral you probably have death wobble. Which is a worn out front suspension system. It's not u-joints. They would have to be so bad you would hear the creeking and popping when ever the Jeep moves.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You could be at too low an engine speed or accelerating too agressively at a low engine speed. The vibration this sets up will be amplified by all the above sources.

You need to check the gearbox and engine mounts for play, the U joints for play and the suspension at both ends as well as wheel bearings.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
phritz
1983 CJ7 

Your profile says you have a 1959 CJ-5 with a 4 cylinder and 3 speed t 90 transmission pushing 33" tires. So....there are lots of things that could be wrong. The steering system on older Jeeps has lots of extra moving parts compared to the more "modern" 1972 and up Jeeps. If you don't know where the bellcrank on your Jeep is (and yes you have one ), it's time for you to find a picture of you Jeep's steering system. The bellcrank itself has three wear areas. The link between the base of the steering column and the bellcrank has two wear points. Then you have the drag link and the tie rod, with all of their associated ends. Your front axle is either a Dana 25 or Dana 27, which have knuckle bearings instead of ball joints. All of these are places to look for wear and play. Poorly balanced tires could also be your problem.

A good start would be to have someone sit in the Jeep without the engine running and slowly rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all of the steering system looking for play or looseness in any of the joints.

My first Jeep was a 1953 M38A1, your Jeep's military Dad. Bought it in 1974 as a "project". It had the same steering set up. It was a frame up, so I replaced everything.

Good Luck !!
phritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Next time it starts to do that, downshift to second. Offhand, it sounds like you're driving at too slow speed in third gear. The engine is trying to stall. OR- it's one of the other things posted above!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
jamesc59
1959 CJ5 

yeah im pretty sure it was just that i was driving at too low of a speed and i dont have a tachometer on it so im still getting used to having to listen to the engine! coming from a 2wd dodge ram its a big step up im glad to finally be part of the jeep community!
jamesc59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj-5 , gears , jeep , willys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.