A question about 258 Intakes and Carb Upgrades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A question about 258 Intakes and Carb Upgrades

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
78CJFIVE
1978 CJ5 

A question about 258 Intakes and Carb Upgrades

If your Jeep has the Carter 1BBL does that mean that your Intake can only accept 1BBL Carbs?

Is it possible that the Jeep has a 2BBL Intake with a Carter 1BBL? If yes, how common is this, and what is the easiest way to know?

I would like to upgrade my Carter 1BBL to ether the MC2100 or a Weber. If I have a 1BBL Intake, I know that I can ether get a new Intake, or an adapter plate.

I know the plate would be cheaper route. What are the advantages (besides cost obviously) / disadvantages to the adapter plate?

78CJFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

If your Jeep has the Carter 1BBL does that mean that your Intake can only accept 1BBL Carbs?

Yes. Unless you get an adapter to put a 2bbl carb on your 1bbl intake.

Is it possible that the Jeep has a 2BBL Intake with a Carter 1BBL? If yes, how common is this, and what is the easiest way to know?

Possible, but highly unlikely. It wouldn't be a factory setup, but some previous owner might have done this for god know's what reason.

I would like to upgrade my Carter 1BBL to ether the MC2100 or a Weber. If I have a 1BBL Intake, I know that I can ether get a new Intake, or an adapter plate. Yes.

I know the plate would be cheaper route. What are the advantages (besides cost obviously) / disadvantages to the adapter plate?
Advantages: Cost. Can't think of any others.
Disadvantages: Not getting full performance potential from your new 2bbl carb by restricting it via a 1bbl manifold. Essentially this is like a NASCAR restricter plate. The new 2bbl will still give you better performance than your old YF, but not as much as you could potentially get by using a proper 2bbl manifold. Or even an aftermarket 4bbl manifold with a 2bbl adapter.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Might even need two adapters. "Large 2bbl to small 2bbl" and then a "small 2 bbl to 1 bbl adapter". lots of places for leaks.

You could always get a 1bbl off a Ford F-150 with a 300 cuin engine, That's a big YF 1bbl.

Best though with a 2 bbl manigold.

There are two 2bbl manifolds also. On water heasted and one were the exhaust bolts to the intake. The water cooled one would be better.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

I think you need a cast iron 2bbl, not the aluminum ones used on later 4.2s, to work (properly) with your exhaust manifold. I've been looking for one as well. I think casting #8126521 will work, but I know there are others. Maybe someone with a cast iron 2bbl can post their intake casting #?
intake.jpg  
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
bas157
1980 CJ7 

MikeMCJ, I've got a cast iron 2 brl one laying around (well its my brothers but its laying around my house) that has a few numbers on it. How do you know which is the casting number? Does 3227135 sound like a casting number? It looks like the kind you posted a picture of.
bas157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.