Quadratrac swap thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac swap thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #91
Blown7

Install a Trans Go kit.

Don't cheap out get some new clutches, and seals.

Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #92
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Right now I am at 100% on Just installing new gaskets and seals and putting it all back together.
It's hard for me to justify spending the money If it doesnt need it. If I do a rebuild, i might as well do it right, and that costs money. Id rather wait and do it right, than spend money now on a cheapie rebuild, and have to do it again in the future for a Beef up rebuild upgrade with good parts.

That boggles my mind that the nail is a factory part. Anybody know where i can order a new one? LOL

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #93
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Picked up a transmission gasket kit and a new filter today. Went to a local shop where I have done business in the past, they get all of the local business. Told him my situation, and he agreed with me. Put new gaskets and seals in it, and run it till she drops.
As he put it, people drop in used transmissions all the time and get years of service out of them. I am doing the same, except I know the history of this one, and have seen what's inside.

Cleaned up the case and threw on a coat of paint. More to just clean it up than anything.

I opened up the pump, and put in a new seal, sealing rings, and outer ring.
Everything looked fine in there. The larger gear had the mark on it facing down. I read to always have the marks on the gears facing up.??
I put it back in with the mark facing up.
Just need to look up the torque specs for the pump.

I probably won't be posting a whole lot about putting the trans back together. Except for the tailshaft swap.
I'll try to keep to what will be involved with the transfer case swap itself.
imag0298.jpg   imag0300.jpg   imag0301.jpg  
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #94
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The adapter is at the local UPS facility. Should be able to start putting the trans back together Monday. Spent today putting new seals on everything and cleaning everything up.
Also studying the manual I bought.

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #95
1983 CJ7 

Have you rebuilt an automatic before?

I have not and it looks confusing as heck.
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #96
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Have you rebuilt an automatic before?

I have not and it looks confusing as heck.
Up until this point, my knowledge of automatic transmissions was put it in D and step on the gas.
So far, by following the Haynes manual that has step by step pictures, everything seems pretty simple.
I was nervous about it at first, but as I follow along with the manual, my confidence grows.
I'm also just replacing gaskets and seals that I can get to. I'm not opening up the clutch packs. Although after what I have done so far, I wouldn't hesitate to. Mine are fine, so I just have no need to open everything up.
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #97
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Got the adapter in today. It looks pretty tough, and basically comes pre-assembled and ready to bolt on. That's always a plus in my book, no messing with bearings or seals. Put on the gaskets, and bolt it up. The instructions seem pretty well written out, I didn't thoroughly go through them, but gave them a quick read over for now.

Set the trans casing on a bucket and board with a hole in it for the tail shaft and hung the weight from my engine hoist, and started assembling. Everything went pretty smooth and straightforward. Only had one head scratching moment that turned out to be a thrust washer not seated correctly.
I checked the end play on the output shaft. It was at .012 (.007-.019). When finished the end play on the input shaft was .021 (.003-.024). Towards the upper end, but good enough to get me by for awhile.
Both shafts turn smoothly by hand. It takes a little effort to turn them, but not too much, just a steady resistance.

Test fitting the adapter. It slid snugly in place, and only took a couple of taps with a 1lb shot hammer to fully seat it.

Started getting hungry, so I called it a day. Got a B&M shift kit and remote filter kit for practically nothing.It will be arriving tomorrow. Once that's all buttoned up, I should have the trans ready to put back in Thursday.
imag0320.jpg   imag0319.jpg   imag0321.jpg   imag0322.jpg  
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #98
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Got the trans buttoned up today. Mounted the adapter to the transmission for good. Test fitted the t-case to the adapter for a clearance check. I didn't want any surprises after the trans was installed.
I wasn't too happy with the grade 5 bolts, studs and nut setup that came with the adapter. I had a bad experience with that setup on my steering box mount, and din't want to chance stripping bolts.
A trip to Tractor supply for some grade 8 Flange bolts instead.

Almost ***** a brick when I checked the front driveshaft clearance using my front driveshaft, flipped end to end. There was no way the yoke was going to clear the trans pan. I didn't realize that the axle end yoke I was using was that much bigger the the t-case side yoke.
Checked it using my rear driveshaft, and the clearance is good. Close, but good. This drive shaft is also fatter than the front I will be using.

I have some wires and hoses to run for the trans, and I hope to have the trans installed tomorrow.
So far, so good.

Unread 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #99
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Looking good agree on the grade 8 stuff I am sure the transmission is going to be great.
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #100
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
Looking good agree on the grade 8 stuff I am sure the transmission is going to be great.
I hope you're right. I double and triple checked everything. I really won't know for sure until it's installed and driven.
I sure do jump right into the deep end, don't I....
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #101
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Eh birds of feather LOL thats what makes the Jeep fun one project down NEXT ONE UP
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #102
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Cool, you may be driving the Jeep by Sunday. Since you didn't remove the disc, I didn't post anything about alignment.

Good news about the driveshaft also.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #103
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Cool, you may be driving the Jeep by Sunday. Since you didn't remove the disc, I didn't post anything about alignment.

Good news about the driveshaft also.

Bill
If all goes well, i just might be. According to Novak, the rear driveshaft will need shortened, so i can shorten the one i already have. Ill need to grab a longer one for the front though.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #104
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Extended the breather lines for the trans and t-case. Routed the kickdown wire. I left the wire in place for the 4x4 switch in place, just in case.
Bill, your grease fitting idea for the breather line worked out slicker than frog snot. I tried to find a barbed nipple that would screw in, but couldn't find anything that small.

Got the trans in. The bell housing bolted up. The TC bolted up. Shift linkage. Kickdown switch. Cooler lines. Dipstick tube. Modulator.
The only thing left there is the inspection cover, and starter.

Bolted the T-case in place to see where I will need to cut a hole for the levers, and measure for drive shafts.
Found my rear pinion somehow rotated to almost 10* upwards. I originally set it at between 5-6. The T-case is at 5* down where I guessed it will sit. Won't know for sure until the belly pan and mount are on.
The beating I put on my rear springs, and their sagging, must have changed my pinion angle some. I'm just surprised it amounted to that much.
I'll deal with that later though.

I can put the new trans up pretty high, giving it a nice tummy tuck.It would make for some sick ground clearance. It probably won't end up quite this high though, but would be nice if it does.

Tomorrow, I can cut the hole in the floor, bolt the t-case up for good, get all of the small stuff double checked, and then work on the belly pan and mount.
Then it's driveshafts. According to Novak, the front will need to be longer, the rear shorter. Wonder if my original rear will end up fitting? That would save me some work. I'll have to get a measurement tomorrow and see.

Fill both cases with fluid, cross my fingers and hope for the best......
Still need to fix my exhaust and anti wrap bar also.......
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #105
mattl
1986 CJ7 

Man it's looking good! That first test drive will be fun.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.