Quadratrac rebuild questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac rebuild questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCount Down to KOH Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
ikidd
1998 ZJ 

Quadratrac rebuild questions

I have a QT with a stripped brake cup in the front, and the cup surface on the carrier in the back is bad. I'm looking at replacing the carrier, front spline shaft, and one brake cup. I'm guessing the only source for these now is salvage, correct?

Which leads to the MM part-time conversion kit. What the best source, which one (regular or 16% OD) if I'm mainly planning on offroad and city driving? And best place to get a reasonable quality chain for either of these options? Any place in Canada to get this?

I can't imagine there's much in the way of options that would rival the cost of this changeover anyway, bolt on.

1994 ZJ 4.0 "Rammy" RIP
ikidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Correct, the only replacement parts you need will be from a salvage somewhere. Stripped a set of cones out myself. I've had bad luck mixing and matching brake cones and carrier also. They wear as a set, and should be kept together, in their proper sides.

The part time conversion will replace all of what you need. The Mile Marker kit comes with or without a chain. The chains aren't good quality though.

BJs Offroad has USA made chains now. I haven't heard of any reports on their quality though. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ProdList.asp?scat=53

The over drive isn't like an actual overdrive. It will raise the gearing completely across the board. Essentually turning your 3.54 gearing into 2.70 gearing( just a number off the top of my head for example). Maybe worth it is you have stock tires, and do lots of highway miles.

Cost wise....I converted my Qtrac to a Dana 18, and probably have about $800 tied up into it.
Unread 01-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
ikidd
1998 ZJ 

Yes I saw BJs. I have certainly heard bad things about the Chinese chains but 250 for a good chain is pretty hard to swallow.

What are the advantages to a D18 and where are they typically sourced? Salvage? Driveshafts swap over?

Good info on the OD, that's what I thought but glad to have it confirmed. Not the way to go for me then.
Unread 01-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The Dana 18 is a gear drive, part time case. It uses the same off set rear output as the Qtrac does, so the rear axle doesn't need swapped.

There are plenty of sources for them, old Jeeps, Scouts. Some dana 18's are better than other. Some are more common than others. They are plenty tough, and usually sell cheap. I paid $100 for mine, and put in new gaskets and seals.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/model_18.htm

To do the swap, the adapter is somewhat expensive at about $600. The transmission needs torn down to replace the tail shaft.

If I remember correctly, my rear drive shaft needed lengthened, and the front just needed the double cardan joint cut off and replaced with a normal yoke.

I have a thread with the swap. Some of the pictures may be missing though. I've pounded the hell out of the 18 since putting it in without a hiccup.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...hread-1570079/
Unread 01-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Can you elaborate a little on the qtec O.D.?
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
ikidd
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the link on the D18 build. I'd love to do that, I like a gear drive tcase. But I really don't want to get into the TH400 past the valve body. If I pulled that, the engine would go away and a 350TBI would take its place. I don't really have the time to do it right, so I'll see about the MM and a new chain. The 1339 is in good shape otherwise, no rounding on the gear shoulders or case damage.

I'll see if North Shore in Vancouver carries them and go from there.

Thanks again.
1994 ZJ 4.0 "Rammy" RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.