Quadratrac Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Quadratrac Question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
1bucknrut
1978 CJ7 

Quadratrac Question

Finishing up on my restoration and still have a few kinks to work out but 1 question is on the quadractrac, I'm aware of how it transfers the power to front and back depending on which drive mode you in, My question is how do you identify which mode your in when driving, weather its in drive mode or Emergency I can not tell the difference on handling, taking off, and even the rpms are about equal on the mph.

Thanks Buck

1bucknrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Not seeing any change in handling and not having a light go on makes me suspect the t case isn't engaging.

In a perfect world with everything working, you will rotate the dial on the vacuum switch to the emergency mode. The light on the dash will light, telling you the t case has engaged.

First insure all the vacuum components are there and there is vacuum to the motor on the top of the t case in both normal and emergency drive (you should have vacuum to one hose in E and the other in normal when you rotate the switch).

Next, use a vacuum pump and pull the motor to one side and then the other. Check to see if the E light goes on on the dash and the motor holds vacuum. If you can't keep vacuum in the motor, then it will need to be replaced. It is possible that the motor is stuck or the light detent is seized, keeping the motor from moving the fork. You can check this by removing the motor and checking it on the bench.

The way to test it is to raise the rig off the ground.
Lock the parking brake.
Place the transmission in drive and give it some gas (get off the pedal as soon as you see the front driveline rotate or feel the t case is locked).
If the engine revs and the front driveline rotates, it is in "normal" mode.
If the engine lugs and nothing moves, then it is locked in E drive.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
1bucknrut
1978 CJ7 

Thanks jeepdaddy for the great tips on how to determine this, I'll be doing this over the weekend and will give results,

In doing this frame off I replaced all the gauges, wire harness (painless)
along with having the Tcase & Tranny rebuilt, now that I replaced all this there was no wire in the harness available for the quadratrac indicator light and no place in the gauge cluster labeled E drive, so what I was going to do is rely on the position of the vacuum switch,

so lifting it off the ground and doing the suggested test should give me the answer I'm looking for, Thanks

Buck
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

It isn't too late to install a light. You can simply wire it into an indicator light that you install separately on the dash. I recommend you install one. The switch in the glove box can be bumped accidentally and the indicator light may keep someone from dragging the drivetrain down the road at highway speeds, damaging the t case.

If your receiving vacuum to both sides of the vacuum motor, and it is holding said vacuum, but don't see any change in driving quality (engagement will be readily apparent while turning tight circles on hard pavement), I would focus on the motor and T case as the culprit. Most times you can remove the cover and with your fingers or a mirror (body on frame), be able to visually inspect the fork for movement. Also, insure the engagement light detent ball isn't frozen, keeping the vacuum motor from moving the fork into the engagement position.

Insure you don't give the engine too much gas when testing. All your trying to do is use the motor to momentarily overcome the LS unit in the T case.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
1bucknrut
1978 CJ7 

Once again Thanks,
I took your advise and I have solved the issue, It was actually the ball bearing that is located on the spring load that is under the vacuum pump rod that holds it in place when your in E drive or normal drive, It was seized and not letting the rod move back and forth when you turn the knob to engage or disengage E drive, It was stuck in Drive

As far as the indicator light I used the light on the cluster that says 4Wheel drive/ instead of it being labled EDrive and wired it in so when its in EDrive it lights up and off when its not.

In doing this I can drive it without questioning whether its working correctly,

So if your ever in Dallas holler and I'll take you 2 Gas Monkey for a couple beers

Buck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.